RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

tyleratl

Donna.. Hi! Good to see you again. I haven't had any green hair algae since getting rid of the Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Do you happen to use this? If so, you might change to something else. I use Coralife. I currently have a RED slime algae problem which is about as annoying as green hair algae. :dance:

Arreola

Grandy - Thank you!!
Did you find any info on the brian??
Hope that you can find a way to save it.

When I go to the LFS I was aiming for a brain that they had last week, but It was sold already.

Arreola

grandy

tyleratl: No I don't use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, but I do use Instant Ocean. Is that a bad thing??
Red slime algae, green hair algae ... they are both trials of our willpower ... in our RSMs. :cry1:

grandy

Arreola I haven't gotten too much help yet, but I posted in the Coral forum here, & have had a couple of responses ... even Reefmack(thank you!!) showed up to help me along there.
You'll find another brain coral, Arreola, and I think you did really well with your new purchases ... :thumbup:

Arreola

Grandy - I know that other shop is about to recieve some corals this week, so maybe I'll get lucky :jester:
I will ask some questions to some friends and see if I can get any ideas for your coral.

Arreola

grandy

Thanks for the help Arreola. I really do not want to lose this coral, it's beautiful.
tyleratlYes, I do have to supplement calcium & mag. I have used IO for quite a few years. There's always a lot of controversy when it comes to salt, but I haven't had any untoward experiences with IO. (I don't think, anyway!!??)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
IO salt here also - most of the time. I can't associate anything bad with it, but I do use a 2 part to keep the Ca up around 450.

grandy - if SWFish can hold off on the tank work till it gets cold up there, I'll forfeit to you my all expenses paid trip to do his RSM tank maintenance. I'm looking forward to enjoying colder weather - no sense going to Florida just to get warm again. :)

Arreola

Hi all.
Here is a picture of the Rics and Star Polyps.
IMG_0003-1.jpg

Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - thanks for emailing the picture of the rics so I can see them from work. Very nice! I really like the multicolors on them!

MrsPeer

Grandy - Thank you for the compliment on the nem. It's good to see you in here again.

How big were your clowns and nem? If I recall correctly, the nem was a sebae. Were the clowns rough on it and pulling the tentacles? I'm sorry to hear that you had to remove the nem. Perhaps it was too small for two clowns?

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm heading down the same path. It took only a few hours after the female clown found the nem for it to move and hide from her. She was rough on it but didn't pull the tentacles, but she was buffeting it. This and the fact that the male clown was never in it. Anyway, it's moved to a safer place now I believe and the clowns have not found it. Hopefully the nem will settle down and grow bigger to withstand her future beatings. :lol:

grandy

Reefmack: Thanks for the generous offer to let me go in your place to help Kent ... in the winter!! :snow: I'm thinking that Kent's RSM will be looked after before our cold weather sets in here. I wonder if he's busy on that other forum, with Dolce?? lol

MrsPeer Both of my clowns were constantly diving into & nesting in the anemone. It took a day of it, then headed for a cave. It took patience on my part, but I managed to gently remove it from the RSM.

Here's a bit of a laugh re my clowns & anemones. Recently I had purchased a plastic -type anemone with long tentacles, placed it in the tank. I wanted to know if the clowns would take interest ... no, they avoided it!!!:laughroll But, they still like the mag float!!

ArreolaVery nice corals & great photo!!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reefmack: Thanks for the generous offer to let me go in your place to help Kent ... in the winter!! :snow: I'm thinking that Kent's RSM will be looked after before our cold weather sets in here. I wonder if he's busy on that other forum, with Dolce?? lol

Nope - he's even been too busy to check in there, so we shouldn't feel too neglected here LOL!

Brent F

Today is “Talk Like a Pirate Day”, the biggest holiday of the year for Pastafarians. To recognize this I thought I’d give an update in pirate speak

It be 5 moons now since I put th' Green Chromis in wi' th' Frogfish t' try an' get th' Frogfish t' eat. They be still livin' together fine. Th' frogfish be eatin' frozen silversides an' th' Chromis continues t' swim around calmly.

I need t' get me 90 gallon up an' runnin' or be havin' a frag sale. Th' RSM be gettin' badly overgrown.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Well, Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day to you Brent! I be checkin me eyelids for pinholes soon. Always good to end the day with a laugh! :)

That "Th' RSM be gettin' badly overgrown." has me worried - wanna be sharin a pic with us mates?

Wow! I have the feeling that this new thread is moving even faster than the old one on the "other" site... My previous posts are already burried...

News from my "declining" RSM

- The cleaning "all-out" offensive that I started this week seems to work, at least for now: less pest algae, less cyano, better looking corals, the front glass does not need to be cleaned every day.

- Removing the sponges and the ceramic tubes from the canister seems to be a good move. I now believe that the canister was the culprit. Now, it hold only a bag of PhosBan, a bag of ChemiPure Elite and some LR rumble. Actually less stuff that I used to have under the pumps in the original standard RSM setup. So... I should work, right?

In response to other comments:

- Yes I do have a RO/DI unit. Tap water is about 30 tds - not bad for a big city like Seattle - and the unit gives me 0 tds water.

- I can't do more than 4g or 5g water change. I live in a small downtown apartment and I do this everything in my bathroom which needs to be converted back into a bathroom when I am done. I cannot do massive water changes.

This weekend:

- Replace the pumps. Clean and store the old ones as backup. Hopefully I will get stronger circulation and maybe less cyano.

- Replace filter media.

After that... next week, I will have much less time (because of work) to take care of the tank and I am a bit worried...

Any other advice ?

Thanks
Laurent

Arreola

I need help on a How-to.
I just found a small Ricordea Florida on the back of the rock I purchased this week.
No matter how I place the rock, it will always be on the back with no light.
Is it possible to remove the Ric from the rock?
How should I do this?
How do I place the Ric on other rock? Is some glue needed?
What Kind of glue should I use?

Thanks
Arreola

I need help on a How-to.
I just found a small Ricordea Florida on the back of the rock I purchased this week.
No matter how I place the rock, it will always be on the back with no light.
Is it possible to remove the Ric from the rock?
How should I do this?
How do I place the Ric on other rock? Is some glue needed?
What Kind of glue should I use?

Thanks
Arreola

Arreola - Try to chip off a piece of the rock which the ric's base is attached to... That way instead of trying to force the ric to attach to a diff place on its own, you can just glue the chip of rock.

Arreola

DontXtripNfall - Some times the simpliest solution is the one you never consider!!
I will try to do that tomorrow.
Thank you.