RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
MrsPeer - I should have said "brain coral" LOL! Although I sometimes do wonder if my own brain is shrinking with age. :) Brent still pops in on occasion, but I can't seem to get Kent in here for some reason. Maybe he gave up on his tank. I'll empower you to get on Kent's case - maybe you can do a better job than I can!

Scooterman - you're setup much better than a lot of us are for water changes. I do my best to not take up even more space in the house with tank related things - I have no garage, and I think my wife would freak if I started having 30 gallon containers of SW and RO/DI sitting in a corner somewhere LOL! As it is I run my RO/DI unit outside to keep that task out of the house. She's accepted my addiction, but I have to draw the line somewhere! I already have a 48" wide, 6 shelf unit set up and full of tank equipment, buckets, pumps, salt, etc. It's even hard for me to imagine how I've accumulated all this "stuff" to support a small 34g tank.

LPSLuver - I got the Maxi-Jet 1800 utility pump for my return pump. It's gotten some good reviews, and I like the ability to adjust the flow on it. It may be another 2 weeks till I get everything set up though. I've got the Lifereef, the pump, tubing, mud, etc. - I just need the time to install the baffles in the tank and let the silicone cure thoroughly. If you get a chance take some pictures of how you assemble the aquasilencer.

tyleratl

Kent pointed me in the right direction, so here I am. You guys might remember seeing me from time to time on that other not so friendly site. Anyway, glad to have found the new home!

Arreola

tyleratl :welcomera

One Question for all you RSM Owners.
I've been reading and asking arround about the Alkalinity.
I found that the Alkalinity in the Sea is at 7 dKH, but in a home aquaruim the suggestion is from 8 to 12 dKH.

Whats the benefit to have a higer alkalinity in the aquaruims instead of trying to keep the parameters the closest to the Sea levels?

Thank you

Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
tyleratl - :welcomera to Reef Sanctuary and the new and improved RSM Club! Nice to see another familiar "voice" from the past find us! RS is a great place to hang out. Now if we can just get Kent (SWFish) to show up here more frequently than he's been able to. How's your RSM doing?

Arreola - I keep my alkalinity about 9.5 - 10.5, but to be honest I can't remember why the higher alkalinity is needed. It may be related to Calcium or coral health, but I'm not sure. Good question that hopefully someone can answer.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - it is believed that certain organisms (such as corals) calcify more quickly at alkalinity levels higher than those in normal seawater. Research indicated that adding bicarbonate to seawater increased the rate of calcification. So, the increased levels of alkalinity above that of natural seawater benefits the growth of corals, probably especially those that build stony skeletons - lps & sps types.

tyleratl

tyleratl - :welcomera to Reef Sanctuary and the new and improved RSM Club! Nice to see another familiar "voice" from the past find us! RS is a great place to hang out. Now if we can just get Kent (SWFish) to show up here more frequently than he's been able to. How's your RSM doing?

My RSM is doing fairly well. Since adding the Fluval 205 with Chemi-Pure Elite a few months ago, my stock skimmer has ceased to produced skimmate. A few days ago, I implemented Kent's stock skimmer mod by drilling a hole in the side of the cup and inserting the skimmer pump air intake into the hole. This worked! My skimmer cup has a small hole in the top that Kent's does not have. So, he thinks I should tape this hole shut to create more of a vacuum from the air intake. This makes sense to me, although it improved even without doing that.

In the meantime, I had to turn off the skimmer and Fluval 205 in order to run a 48 hour course of Chemi-Clean. The red slime algae is back and I don't know why since my Nitrates and Phosphates are pretty much zero. Since starting the treatment, a few of my Xenia coral stalks have shrunk and turned bright white. It think they are dead. Any idea what could have caused this? Might it be the Chemiclean OR just the fact that I moved the rock that this Xenia was attached to a few days ago?

SWFish

Kent pointed me in the right direction, so here I am. You guys might remember seeing me from time to time on that other not so friendly site. Anyway, glad to have found the new home!
tyleratl -
Tyler.... so glad I didn't burn the final bridge ;) on the previous forum so that you had a way to contact me!
:welcomera
I know you will find everyone here is respectful and welcoming to our participation!

For all my friends who have wondered where I have been..... well :drown: with business, and a parade of hurricanes! :LOL:

My RSM :columbo: probably needs a good 6 hours of attention.... :eek:h:

SWFish a.k.a. Kent

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
tyleratl - the effect of alk on pH consistency may also be a factor. I just posted what I found in a quick search for Arreola (and my own) information. Good to hear Kent's RSM skimmer mod worked for you. I lost some Xenia I had moved from the RSM to a small 9g tank - same thing - shrunk, turned white and died off - no Chemi-Clean involved. I've read that Xenia at times will just die off for no obvious reason, but I guess the Chemi-Clean may have been a factor. Some folks in my local reef club have switched from Chaeto to Xenia in their refugiums as nitrate exporters. That makes me wonder if Xenia doesn't do well in a nitrate free tank.

DontXtripNfall - the link didn't work for me.

SWFish - Kent - great to see you in here! And good luck with getting the dog training business off to a good start and a successful future! I wish you nothing but success! All you need to do now is find 6 free hours to work on your RSM :)

SWFish

MrsPeer

Hey SWFish! Great to see you again! I'd offer to help you with your tank, but I think it would be cheaper to fly Reefmack down there. Perhaps your dog business is successful enough to fly all of us down there? :)

DontXtripNfall - Nice palys!

My female buffeted the RBTA to the point where the nem decided to wander around the tank and run away from her. She was really rough with it. Too much lovin' and huggin' became overbearing for the poor nem.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
DontXtripNfall - those links worked - nice choices and great colors!

SWFish - Not sure how the market did today. To be on the safe side I moved around my 401K savings at work not long ago - into less volatile and safer (I hope) options. On the other down side I think my life insurance at work is with AIG, another outfit that now appears to be in financial trouble? I guess I'm getting way off topic now LOL!:threadjack: Let me know if you need my address to send me the round trip ticket, and coupons for free shuttle service and room and board. :) Unless you want to follow up on MrsPeer's suggestion to fly all of us down!

MrsPeer - I just saw the new nem pics - beautiful! Now that I can see the spots on the clowns (page 32) I would say it's definitely not ich - looks exactly like the coral sting marks that my clowns often had.

Arreola

Hello Guys.
I just got back from LFS, I had to go to a place very close from there and got a real bargin.
I got a rock with Ricordea Florida and Some Star Polips for 10$ US. :whstlr:
The colors are not very nice, but still was one of ther species I wanted to add.

I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Arreola

grandy

MrsPeerOh what lovely anemones!! Beautiful colors & very nice bulb tips! Keep us posted on how they do, OK? I had tried an anemone but had to remove it, as it was very obviously not happy. My clowns would not leave it alone ... it wandered & wandered & then hid in a cave.
tyleratl: HI!:dance: Nice to see you have joined us here. (I was donna53 at the other inhospitable place). Sorry to hear about your Xenia ... it sounds like they bleached right out. I'm having problems of my own with a brain coral that is rapidly detaching from it's skeleton.
SWFish; So you finally decided to come back & see if we are still here?? 'missed you! I'd offer to help with the RSM, too, but Reefmack did speak up first. However, I think I'd rather come & help in the winter time!! :D
DontXtripNfall Very very nice purchases. wow, I love the bright green polyps!! Great prices, too!:)
Arreola: You too??? Good scoop on the Ric & Star Polyps!!

I'm getting really jealous of all of these new purchases.:grr: With my battle of the hair algae continuing ... I dare not add anything new, & my tank is looking like it could use some new corals, too!!!