RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

bryceK

Anyway, I want to ask how many RSM owners are only running their skimmer and no biological filters. I'm thinking of getting the ceramic bag and put in live rock rubble. What do you think?

I did that for a few months without out a real noticeable difference in my tank. Since I have however now setup up the sump/fuge I do not have anything in the pump compartment.

bryceK

On the subject of the surface skimmer box. I had in the past used the jbj surface skimmer box. The water flow was enough to hold it in place but if there was a loss in waterflow or if a snail bumped into it it would fall right off so I quit using it.
I am at a loss as to what to do for a skimmer now. When I put my Tunze nano skimmer in my sump I set it on the bottom and have almost one inch to to water level line(need atleast 1/2 inch more) so not getting it to skim. The problem is if I add water to the sump and the power goes out I am looking at a flood. As my sump is currently set up with the pump off it fills to just about 1 inch from the rim. Anyone have any ideas?

Witfull

more faces,,,,,its a revolution~

glad to have y'all here...but......who spilled the Mt Dew on the carpet? towels are in the closet marked "tank flood dept"

Brent F

On the subject of the surface skimmer box. I had in the past used the jbj surface skimmer box. The water flow was enough to hold it in place but if there was a loss in waterflow or if a snail bumped into it it would fall right off so I quit using it.
I am at a loss as to what to do for a skimmer now. When I put my Tunze nano skimmer in my sump I set it on the bottom and have almost one inch to to water level line(need atleast 1/2 inch more) so not getting it to skim. The problem is if I add water to the sump and the power goes out I am looking at a flood. As my sump is currently set up with the pump off it fills to just about 1 inch from the rim. Anyone have any ideas?

Get a bigger sump to handle the power off volume ;)

I looked at your sump and it will be hard to use a skimmer with the existing baffles - it isn't designed for using with a skimmer. You could put the sump in the first chamber (where the bioballs are) and extend the second baffle (the one attahed to the bottom between the first chamber and the fuge) higher to raise the water in chamber one. That way, the water depth in chamber 1 will be deep enough for the skimer and low enough in chamber 3 for the power off situation. If you want deeper water in the fuge as well as chamber 1 extend the third baffle higher instead.

A third option would be to ask mhurley, who has never seen a RSM, what to do

bryceK

Brent F, thanks for the info, however I am stuck with the baffles the way they are as they are glued in place and not adjustable as far as I know.(I really know nothing when it comes to this so far LOL) I have a little room to play with in the skimmer compartment of the tank if I get the magnet mount for the skimmer and mount it on the right side. I am considering also using the spare ups unit I have here at the house for power back up to the pump. Based on the wattage of the pump I should be able to get about 45 minutes of run time on the pump.

Brent F

Bryce, you can get a piece of glass cut and silicone it onto the existing baffle to extend it higher. Leave the existing one there, silicone the new piece to it.

Here's a picture
bryce.jpg

black lines - existing glass
red line - new piece added
blue lines - water levels

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
MrsPeer - good to see you back! I like the avatar too! I run no biomedia - just the rock in the tank, a skimmer and some chemical media. I first replaced the RSM biomedia with rubble and saw no difference, then eventually pulled out the rubble and saw no difference in nitrates. That's just my tank though - every tank is different. If you make a change just measure frequently for a while.

Witfull - your comments, and those of the other staff, always get a laugh out of me. Thanks! :) It's not been a good day and a laugh is appreciated.

Brent - great comment on mhurley.

Brycek - If you're open to another skimmer for the sump check out the new small one from Marineland. Still too new to find any reviews on it, but it might work with your water level?

-------------

My home AC unit is down for good as of today. I'm getting credit for last week's hefty repair bill taken off the price of a new main unit. Still a lot of money. At the rate I'm going I'll soon be out begging on street corners for money for salt mix. I'll be without AC till possibly late tomorrow, and have been putting frozen water bottles in the tank to cool it down. The AC place also just brought me a loaner window AC unit to cool down the family room, so that should help some. I'm hoping I don't lose anything/everything in the tank. Don't even mention getting a chiller for emergencies - I need to recover from the latest unexpected losses first! And it's hotter than heck up here in my computer room! Not sure if I'll be posting any more tonight.

Brent F

Reefmack, that's the second day this week you used the "bad day" card.

Good luck with the air conditioning problem.

bryceK

Reefmack, I can start a charitable account for donations to buy salt mix if it comes to that. I will take a look at the marineland skimmer. I didn't know they had a new one.

I will be taking Brent's advice and adjust the height of the baffle. I did though as I was thinking about and hooked the return pump to my ups and am testing the battery run time....27+ minutes and counting so far.

lcstorc

I so understand the AC issues. We had to replace ours a couple of months ago. There is just no choice here. Talk about expensive. It did make the electric bill go down but increased my evaporation big time.

bryceK

You guys keep it up with the food talk and my dad is going to hate my phone call later tonight for an order of crawfish boiled, stewed, bisque and Etouffee as well as some gumbo sent overnight from Baton Rouge........I have been away far to long.........

MrsPeer

Reefmack - Sorry to hear the AC situation got worse. Hopefully everything hangs in there until the new unit is up. Perhaps turning off the lights for a day and/or put some fans over the surface might help? The reason I ask about the ceramic bag is that when it gets filled up with a lot of debris, it restricts flow and starves the pumps. I've been having a lot of microbubbles lately. I did try the pump mods made by SWFish and it helped, but then this came along.

The avatar is actually of us sitting on our deck of our overwater suite in French Polynesia. They gave us free champagne on arrival so we decided that we shouldn't waste it. My hubby is such a nerd, but that's what I love about him.

MrsPeer

I also that post by MHurley and it shocked me that he has never seen an RSM. I mean he's an admin and I figured with all the conventions he attended and experience he has in this hobby that he would know what an RSM looks like.