RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

grandy

:hallo: Hi! I'm so happy to see everyone here! Reefmack, thanks for finding this great place for all of us to meet. And a big thanks to Reef Sanctuary for such a warm welcome! :crowd:
Nice photos, Brent F ... your set up is so clean!
Steveh It's wonderful to see you here & I look forward to your input. RedSea has been absolutely helpful & friendly any time I have contacted them, or needed parts.:thumbup:
I will post pics later today of my RSM (set up for 11 months). I've encountered a dreaded algae (?) outbreak & feel like I am losing the battle. It's horrible & I could use some help & encouragement, please.:help1:
I know .... it's useless without photos so I will get them in soon.

Arreola

Reefmack - I'm glad that the RSM Owners Club is up and running.
Hope that you can find a solution for the Blue Linckia.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Grandy - welcome to the new club! Nice to see the crew centralizing in one place. Yes - please post some pics on the tank & the algae so we can see what type it is. Hopefully it's not Bryopsis - usually tougher to get rid of than some other types. Bryopsis threatened to take over my tank and cover my corals a few months back. Trying highly elevated magnesium levels gave an indication that it was helping, but was negatively affecting some corals. That's when I added the small (will grow too big) Foxface as a last resort. That fish had it all gone in about a week, and thank goodness the Foxface isn't growing too quickly. Plus it loves other foods and eats dried algae also.

Arreola - glad to see you found the club thread. On the Linkia, the next time it's on the glass I'll try to get some food under it and hopefully it will accept it again. Make sure you let us know what the ultrasound shows on the new baby on the way. And when it arrives, we will insist that you post a baby picture for us all :) Have you and you wife started to think of names for the baby yet? I'm guessing you have!

snelly50

Hey Guys, I'm excited about this new RSM Club. I purchased mine on July 6,2008. I've got about 40lbs of Fiji Rock, gravel, live sand, 2 marroon Clowns, 1 domino damsel (test fish), 1 same Yellow Tang, Frogspawn, Mushrooms, some zoos, and thorch coral. I got the updgrade to the skimmer from my LFS for the microbubbles and added the addition fan to cool the water temp from 83 to about 79 now. The fan for my lights is alittle noisy so I'm gonna change that out also. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with the setup. Thanks for the sump pictures..I'm not sure if I want to go that route yet.

I am having alittle problem with my powerheads producing alot of air bubble. When I adjust the inlet grill too high my water level in the powerhead drops below the intake and I get all this air. My theory on this is that because I removed the ceramic bioballs and added the carbon, purigen, and filter pad in that chamber it restricts the water flow into it. Right now I have one powerhead shut off until I resolve the issue.

Thx, and I'll add some pics tonight

Brent F

snelly50 - Welcome to the club. There is a mod to add a hose to the bottom of the powerhead that fixes this problem. Reefmack or kent (not sure of his ID) can post details of the mod.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome Snelly 50! I'm thinking you may be Snelly 40's dad? Pardon me if I'm wrong on that. You're right on with the assumptions that the bubbles may be caused by not enough flow through the back. If shutting off one of the 2 pumps gets rid of them that's another good indicator that the bubbles are NOT originating from the skimmer, or they'd still be getting pumped into the tank.

I've done the tubing mod mentioned by Brent - it involves adding a 3-4 inch piece of plastic flexible tubing (got mine at Lowes) over the inlet of both pumps, and then needing a 12" plastic cable tie around each pump to keep the extra weight of the tubing from pulling that bottom piece off of the pumps. I can't remember what diameter tubing is needed. Kent (SWFish has joined Reef Sanctuary, but hasn't had a chance yet to get in and introduce himself. He's the expert on this mod. I've had some success with it but would still get the microbubbles if the level dropped too low in that pump chamber.

Too much media and/or too fine of a media can also cut the flow. Here's a list of possible microbubble causes that I once put together for someone:

Possible microbubble causes:

1) Plugged up filter pad/sponge. You may have too thick a black sponge. It's often helped to cut that black sponge thickness to 1-2 inches thick, instead of the original thickness supplied with the tank. You just about have to rinse or replace the (original white) filter pad every 2-3 days to keep the flow high through the back. These fine filter pads can clog up pretty quickly (plus generate nitrates) if not cleaned/replaced frequently. You can get similar bonded filter pad material at most LFS in a large sheet form and cut replacements from that. The stuff I use is blue on one side, white on the other.

2) If you've got media under the pumps - the media or the bags that it's in may be getting plugged up with detritus, cutting flow. Remove, rinse in SW or replace. At times the drawstring on bags, or the bags themselves, block one of the pump inlets. Likewise too much media under the pumps can cut the flow too much.

3) If you have placed media above the skimmer pump, or even on the left side of the skimmer, especially a fine grained media like Chemi-Pure, these types of media can compact after a while and cut flow. Or, the bags get plugged up with detritus. It would be great to be able to keep media in these spots, rather than in the hard to access location under the pumps, but unless it's a large grained media like carbon it usually cuts flow too much.

4) Also - see if you can get a finger under the pumps to be sure that plate on the bottom hasn't come loose. Some owners have tied 12 inch cable ties around each of the pumps to ensure that fitting can't become dislodged or fall off.

5) If running a cannister filter, shake it back & forth several times to release entrapped air at the top. If the cannister has entrapped air you'll often see periodic bursts of microbubbles as this entrapped air is released periodically, and is chewed up by the pump impellers into microbubbles.

6) Is anything blocking the overflow gate? Something like a starfish or anemone can crawl over the gate, cutting flow, starving the pumps, and creating a whiteout of bubbles in the tank. If the gate is covered with a thick algae growth the same blockage could occur.

7) Is the gate pushed down all the way? If the gate is raised up too much it won't let enough water through to the back.

8) Skimmer problem - totally different issues. If the microbubbles are an "all of a sudden" occurrence, after not having many for a while, it's probably one of the above causes. In newly set up tanks, microbubbles from the skimmer should be expected for a while, till the skimmer breaks in, and bio-load is built up in the tank.

Some owners have removed all of the filtration pads & media from the back and just rely on the rock to take care of all filtration. I haven't done that as I like to use some chemical media, and I like to have the pad to catch any food and sediment that goes through the gate. Others have pulled everything but the skimmer out of the back, and hooked up a fairly large cannister filter in the cabinet, with the inlet and outlet pipes in back, and when doing a weekly cannister cleaning they fill it with fresh SW and consider the couple of gallons of water their weekly water change. This is a cool idea, but you have to keep up with cleaning that cannister or it could become a nitrate generator. I tried the cannister approach and loved it, but saw my nitrates rise too much. Others haven't had this happen though.

So there's my current summary of microbubble causes & cures. There may be some I've missed, and some that some others can add, but it should give you a start on things to check on and consider.

I hope it helps!

Terry

PS -edited several times - I'm a gud speler but a terible tipist! I only ever see my mistakes after I send a reply :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - thanks for the help. There are so many RSM mods, etc. stored in my brain that I can't recall them all in detail :) Isn't 7/16" smaller than 1/2" ? 1/2 would be 8/16. Maybe 1/2" or 3/4" ID is needed? Did you put the tubing inside or outside of the pump fitting?

snelly50

Thanks Reefmack for the Welcome...and I am Snelly40's Dad. I taught him everything he knows.....hehehe. Actually he's been a great asset to me with my tank now. He's like a sponge...he absorbs all the info here. I'm more like a sieve at this stage of my life. Anyway...I also used tie-wraps to hold the bottom to the powerheads on. I'll try the tubing tonight and take my purigen out of that chamber. This site has been a great source of info and I've only been here 3 hours.....

ps...has anyone had a problem with the light timer?.....mine doesn't work

SWFish

:woohoo:

Hello Everyone!!!
How much fun is this!!! Nice to see everyone is getting the word!

snelly 50 - Welcome to the nicest folks you will find to guide you with your new RSM adventure!!!

The tubing is 5/8" ID and the weight will pull the intake plate off the bottom of the pump.... so do this:

IMGP0398.jpg

Those are 12" long Cable or Zip ties securing the stock pumps bottom plate on because of the weight of the tubing.... My left (outside) extension is longer than my right (interior) extension....

:bouncer: SWFish

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
SWFish - thanks for getting us the right size tubing identified. And of course welcome to the new club!

Snelly50 - it sounds like "40" is a great son, and a real help! On the timer not working, it sounds like the tank should still be under warranty? The light timers have failed on occasion and if you contact Red Sea they'll most likely send you a gratis replacement timer - Red Sea has always had outstanding customer support. You might need your hood and tank serial numbers. Better yet - Red Sea has joined Reef Sanctuary as a supporting sponsor - I would send a PM to steveh and ask him about the best way to get something done on the timer. I think you can find him on page 1 of this thread. Or, visit the Red Sea forum here on Reef Sanctuary:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea/

MrsPeer

Or you can contact Pinky at Red Sea. She has always been helpful to RSM owners and actually sent the optional fan to me free of charge. I don't have her contact information on hand at the moment, but I'm sure some in here do.

snelly50

thanks guys...this is all good information. SWFish my powerheads look exactly like your's thanks. I'm gonna add the tubing tonight. I'll contact Red Sea about the timer and noisy light fan also.

SWFish

thanks guys...this is all good information. SWFish my powerheads look exactly like your's thanks. I'm gonna add the tubing tonight. I'll contact Red Sea about the timer and noisy light fan also.
:surrender:
snelly50 -
Not so fast my new RSM friend :rolleyes:

The left pump is the stock RSM pump..... The right side pump is a MaxiJet 1200.
Another mod we can discuss later....:)

BUT.... please continue your mod with the stock pumps.... It's a Martha Stewart "Good Thing"!

:yummy:
SWFish

Arreola

Or you can contact Pinky at Red Sea. She has always been helpful to RSM owners and actually sent the optional fan to me free of charge. I don't have her contact information on hand at the moment, but I'm sure some in here do.

MrsPeer: I found Pinky's info.
Pinky Bulot U.S.A. Office: Red Sea 18125 Ammi Trail Houston, Texas 77060
Tel: (281) 447-0205 Fax: (281) 447-1153 Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9
pinky@redseafish.com