RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
grandy - the link was to product information on marinedepot.com
Maybe if you can get there you can find the product?
I'm not sure, but it sounds like a setup problem with your browser?

Thanks all for the quick replies!

Yes, I have replaced the lights at about 10 months.
I am having a lot of scroll algae, some filamentous green algae and cyano.

I am going to:

- step up - again - the water changes.
- have my tank water tested at my LFS for NO3 to make sure that my test kit is still ok after one year.
Next weekend: Clean the skimmer and the pumps.

I will keep you posted.

grandy

Thanks all for the quick replies!

Yes, I have replaced the lights at about 10 months.
I am having a lot of scroll algae, some filamentous green algae and cyano.

I am going to:

- step up - again - the water changes.
- have my tank water tested at my LFS for NO3 to make sure that my test kit is still ok after one year.
Next weekend: Clean the skimmer and the pumps.

I will keep you posted.

Have you tried shortening your lighting period?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds like a good plan Laurent. And a good point by grandy on the light period.

Strange - I got no email notification on the last few posts.

Arreola

Grandy - Nice to have you back!!
Thanks on the comments on the Duncans, It was a real bargin thanks to Reefmack!!
I got that 7 Polyp Coral for less than 50$
Next week the one of the LFS will get a new coral shipment, but I do not know what are they getting. They told me that they will call one day in advance so I can be the first to pick (but don't know is they are saying the same to all customers) :smack:

On other shop the owner place an order for some aussi acans and Dendrophyllias, I will have to wait for the prices on those corals.

Arreola

bryceK

You can now add me to the Life Reef Overflow club. Got mine up and running 2 days ago. Works great. Got the gurgling resolved but want to get the other noise issues resolved. I may try to make my own Aqua Silencer or buy one and get a reducing bushing to make it work.

LPSLuver What are you using for a return pump?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
bryceK - I'll be interested also to see what pump LPSLuver is using. I ended up getting a Maxi-Jet 1800 - rated 475 gph max, but it has adjustable flow so I can turn it down if needed. Still waiting for the Lifereef box to arrive, and I hope to find the time today to put the baffles in the 10g tank. With luck I can get the refugium set up next weekend.

grandy

Arreola It sounds like you are going to have some fun ahead of you, with shopping!! I love my Aussie Acans, make sure you ask if they are stingers. Some are more so than others. I have a green & brown one that I was told to keep at least 6" away from any other corals ... that's quite a distance in our RSM!

Later today I am doing my water change so that will keep me out of trouble for a while. I am very happy with my Tunze Nano skimmer, it pulls out dark green gunk or green tea, depending on my setting. Every 3rd day I empty from 1 - 2" and clean the cup. I have my Rowaphos hanging in the the skimmer compartment, next to the heater chamber. I've used a clothes pin to hold it up ... at the oval hole where the I have the skimmer cord coming out. So far I have Purigen, and ChemiPure laying in the bottom of that compartment but I am wondering ... is there enough flow there to be effective? What other options are there? I don't want to place anything under the pumps as it's too difficult to get at & I don't change the media out as often as I should because of the 'endurance test' involved.:bouncebox

bryceK

I noticed today when I went to do my water change that there was a type of algae that I had never seen before covering some of my rock. Unfortunately I forgot to get any pictures before using my turkey baster and siphoning it out. I will describe it the best I can. It was basically covering several rocks and was more of a thick translucent coloring. I could see through it and see the rock underneath it but it was thick like the red cyano I have dealt with in the past. Any ideas on this?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
grandy - good to hear the 9002 skimmer is doing well. I'm not sure how much flow is at the bottom of the skimmer chamber but I'm guessing the media down there has to be doing some good, even if it's limited. Do you ever pull up the bags and rinse them in your siphoned water, in case they're getting covered in sediment? Just a thought. Any way you could put a line on them & raise them up off the bottom a bit, as the you did with the Rowaphos? The only other option would be a media basket, similar to the one made by StevieT. Even the basket will need cleaning of the pad & media bags, otherwise it is also prone to plug up & cut the flow to the pumps.

bryceK - what color is the algae you're seeing? Is it the brown crud?

lcstorc

Looks like we have even more new RSM owners. Welcome to RS.
Just a suggestion but it might be easier to follow if you each set up your own chronicle or build thread. Perhaps but RSM in the title so you can easily keep track of each other.
I only say this because I am having a hard time remembering what tank belongs to who and what equipment etc.

grandy

lcstorc good idea to get more info on each of our set ups.
Another easy way is to add the info on your signature & then it's there, with every post!!

Reefmack: Thanks for the suggestions re the media placement. I do rinse the bags off in salt water, and yes, they do accumulate sediment at the bottom of the chamber. Didn't someone else make a media holder ... ?? Not Stevie T. Do you have his email addy? could you PM it to me if you do, please? I believe it will work ( or he has a different model that will work) with the Tunze Nano 9002?

bryceK Is it another type of cyano? Is there bubbles in it?

bryceK

As for the algae I am not sure. I am going to try and get a picture I had vacuumed all of it out of the display today. I did notice some on one of the baffles in my refugium. I will try and get a picture in a little while. I am headed out to applebee's now for all you can eat shrimp........

On other shop the owner place an order for some aussi acans and Dendrophyllias, I will have to wait for the prices on those corals.

Arreola

Arreola - I have been wanting dendros for a while but my good friend who is in the LFS business emailed his supplier and apparently they aren't being imported.. some get away with illegally putting it with freshwater fish boxes.

bryceK

Well I may be finding out tonight if my UPS for my return pump from the refugium works. We are now getting the remnants of hurricane ike all the way up here in PA. Sustained winds of 50+mph and gusting to 75mph. When I had gone to dinner the power went out at the restaurant. I got home about 20 minutes after that and had not lost power here but the lights keep flickering. I will just have to wait and see.

Arreola

Arreola - I have been wanting dendros for a while but my good friend who is in the LFS business emailed his supplier and apparently they aren't being imported.. some get away with illegally putting it with freshwater fish boxes.

I'm in México City, and there is only a few that have the permit to import corals / fishes.
There is a bunch of paper work involved, so it might take more than expected.
I will call the owner of this shop monday and ask him if there is a store in the US where you can get the Dendros.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
bryceK - I hope you get through the remains of Ike with no power outage. Loss of power for a long time is a scary thing when you have a reef tank. I started to put some acrylic pieces together to install in the 10 g refugium tank and the instructions and pictures were useless. I emailed a few pictures of what I had done to my "reef equipment engineer expert" Brent F and he straightened things out for me, as I knew he could! At least I was able to snap off the baffle piece that I had upside down without any damage. Back to gluing tomorrow! Thanks again Brent!

arh

Reefmack and BryceK:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

On the battery backup -- the pump that I noted has the ability to be plugged in and then trips on when the power goes out. So it's normal position is off, then when if senses no A/C power, it turns on the D/C from the battery. In order to use this feature (we have frequent power outages that could occur while I am at work) I would have to leave the airstone hooked up in the tank all of the time. I just didn't know if anyone had a clever way to have the airstone in the tank with the airline and stone hidden. My current thought is to hang it between my supplemental PH (Koralia) and the back wall, where it is masked by the Koralia. Suggestions are welcome.

I have posted a FTS - just for fun. My RSM has been going for about 4 months or so.

Thanks for all your help!
ARH

IMG_1342.jpg

grandy

arh: Your tank looks very very nice!!!

Re the air stone, I think your idea is good for the placement. Will you use suction cups to hold the airline in place? That will also help to keep it looking neat. JMO