RSM Owners - What upgrades are better than sliced bread?

whip

RSM Owners -

I was just curious what upgrade you did that changed your life for the better? Was is a chiller, better skimmer, LED's, sump, etc?

I've completed a lot of upgrades, but for me, it was the addition of an ATO that was the most significant. After the installation of my Tunze 3152, I can't believe that I lived life without it for so long.

What about you guys?

dgilbert2

I've only done one so far and that was to control the cooling fans with an STC-1000 controller. It makes sure the fans only work when really needed, gives better temperature stability, avoids having to listen to the fan noise all the time and helps keep evaporation to what is essential.

pablomay28

For me a lot of upgrades. Tunze osmolator nano ATO, aquaeuro apex 1/4hp chiller with out of tank eheim compact 3000 eliminating pump#2, external advanced acrylics sump with a vertex omega 130 skimmer and a taam rio 2100 return all with DIY plumbing.

whip

For me a lot of upgrades. Tunze osmolator nano ATO, aquaeuro apex 1/4hp chiller with out of tank eheim compact 3000 eliminating pump#2, external advanced acrylics sump with a vertex omega 130 skimmer and a taam rio 2100 return all with DIY plumbing.

If you had to give up all but one, which one would you say, "NO WAY!"

JEMM55

Has anyone done a nice media rack refugium? The 10 watt lights from in tank really suck. I was thinking that the innovative marine mag lite led would work. Not sure how to clear the glass in that area. Any ideas?

Delareef123

Whip I just recently added a chiller and I am very happy with it. Water stays at a constant 77 degrees. Again, I dont have central air in the house so this was a must for me.
ATO is awesome! There is already a boat load of flow in the tank so now wave maker for me.

The only other thing I really am happy I purchased was a thermometer with an LED display of the heat temp setting and the actual temp of the tank. I can see it through the glass which makes it SUPER easy to monitor.

Pat24601

The only other thing I really am happy I purchased was a thermometer with an LED display of the heat temp setting and the actual temp of the tank. I can see it through the glass which makes it SUPER easy to monitor.

What thermometer did you buy? I may be looking to upgrade my thermometer. For some reason, I don't think of thermometers as an upgrade in threads like this, but of course they are a must have. :)

DaveK

See that, if you went with all the upgrades specified by out membership, you'd soon be broke.
(grin)

When it comes to any sort of upgrade, on any system, evaluate what it's going to do for you verses the cost in money and your time and effort.

What your needs are can be very different from what someone else needs. I usually want ones that will make the tank environment a lot better or save me a lot of work. In other words, there really needs to be something to gain.

Years ago I would make modifications and only get a marginal improvement. Looking back, this was a mistake.

Lastly, don't overlook DIY projects.

whip

What thermometer did you buy? I may be looking to upgrade my thermometer. For some reason, I don't think of thermometers as an upgrade in threads like this, but of course they are a must have. :)

Talking about awesome heaters with backlit LCD's (green when in spec, blue when a few degrees below, red when a few degrees hit, and flashes "LF" when it detects Low Flow)?

Fluval!!! It's flipp'in awesome! The plastic cage comes off if you want it to look "normal" or if you what it to fit in the heater chamber on your tank.

image.jpg

whip

And... no dials! Everything is digital. To set the temp you desire, you simply move the level left or right to adjust it degree by degree up or down. They also are equipped with an auto shutoff that senses when it is surrounded by air and not water. I have used them for years without issue. Good stuff!

whip

And... it reads current temperature and compares it against the set point. That is how it knows to change the color of the backlit display (blue/green/red).

And... when I put it in my RSM 130 heater chamber, it shines (crystal clear) through the smoked glass so I can read current temperature from the front of the display tank.

I might have to move this from my third greatest upgrade to number two (ATO still in first place).