RSM Heater fluctuations

mzreenie

Yes, very interesting. I will keep that in mind. I noticed that my heater had slid down in the RSM heater compartment - I raised it up so that the dial is entirely out of the water - I'll see if this makes a difference or not. If not, I will contact RSM.

steveh

The MAX heater is made for Red Sea by probably the largest and most experienced heater manufacturer there is. Every bimetallic heater will fluctuate slightly and I really wouldn't worry about these fluctuations. A stable temperature of between 24-28 degrees, not fluctuating more than a degree or so at any time, is usually considered in the right range and you definitely don't need to worry about tweaking it by a couple of decimal places.

mzreenie

I haven't touched the heater dial in a few days and it is doing better. The temp has been averaging about 78.1 - 78.3 by the end of the day, and drops about one degree at night. It has not spiked up to over 79 like it did a few times. I raised the heater up in the chamber, and I have made sure that I turn the heater off with every PWC.

adamsfour

Well my RSM got stuck in the on today. I caught it when the temperature was at ~84 instead of 78. I pulled it immediately and replaced it with a visi-therm. Only heater available in a pinch from my local store. Kind of spooky as I travel a lot can't imagine what would have happened if I had not caught it.

chrome91

Well my RSM got stuck in the on today. I caught it when the temperature was at ~84 instead of 78. I pulled it immediately and replaced it with a visi-therm. Only heater available in a pinch from my local store. Kind of spooky as I travel a lot can't imagine what would have happened if I had not caught it.

ouch, that sucks. good news is visi therms are good heaters

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Close call! Visitherm Stealth is what I use now. They always worked great in FW and after over a year in SW as well.

adamsfour

Yea, I wanted the stealth but store only had small ones. Now I just have to hope my inhabi**** surviced the heat wave. Luckily the temperturn only rose about 5 degress before I caught it and that was in the heater chamber. I am hoping the main section of the tank was better.

adamsfour

question? Based on my experience last Sunday with my heater and words on this thread I am thinking about adding a Heater controller to my tank. It would have prevented this nightmare. Any recommendation on a good one and any reason not to add one. Is it just a waste a money or a good idea. Thanks in advance for the help

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
adamsfour - I once lost a 12 gallon tank of FW fish to a heater that stuck on - you were lucky! The heater controller is a good idea, and is something that I keep meaning to get, and keep forgetting. I think Ranco makes one that isn't overly expensive.

adamsfour

Thanks, Looking around I see American Marine makes one for about 180 dollars and the Ranco runs about 100 dollars. Don't know much about Ranco but I know American Marine makes top notch products

steveh

The RSM heater is pretty good and works in the same way as other bi-metallic heater stats (ie: pretty much anything not electronically controlled) but obviously a dedicated heater controller is the "ultimate"