RSM 650 setup

maxpc99

Hello,

Just purchased a 650 today through my LFS. I won't get an estimated ship date until Monday, but my question is do I do the setup myself or the LFS will do it for 400$. Thoughts? They said it takes 6-7 hours. I know they have done many and have had a nice 500 up and running in the shop for a while.

Part of me wants to do it myself so I know all the in's and out's, but the other part of me thinks I might actually trust them to do a better job at the build.

Appreciate any insight from those who have done it themselves.

~Max

Setragni

Set up is part of the fun man. I have as much fun setting, modding and servicing the tank as I have watching it.
I say DIY. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ausreef

id say setup yourself,it will give you far more of an insight as to how everything works,but you will need a full time assistant and several to lift the tank onto the stand

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I congrats on the awesome RSM 650 - I think you can set it up for sure, but the lifting part, would temp me to pay someone to do... :dance:

tnwillia

Pay them (LFS) to deliver it and get it in your house! You may need 4 people to get the tank on the stand once you have it built. Have fun!

maxpc99

Thanks for the replies. I pretty much agree the setup will be fun and when the LFS offered I couldn't say "no thank you" fast enough, but as I was driving home I was envisioning getting the tank on the stand and started to have 2nd thoughts about it. They are delivering the tank and will bring it directly into the room it's going.

After sleeping on it and feedback from the replies, I am going to do it myself. I just wanted to see if anyone was going to say it was a nightmare to install and if I could do it over again I would pay.

LFS said it could be weeks or months on delivery. They won't know until they call it in tomorrow.

GREYBOLT03

Congrats on the new tank!!! And enlist the help of a few friends (easly paid with beer and pizza) and make a fun day of it...

maxpc99

Interesting idea on the glass suckers. After some quick googling, the max load I could find could handle 300 pounds. I'll keep looking.

As for space, we have a 2 car garage that I would hope will be able to handle it.