RSM 650 Question

bhbbhb

Can I get some assistance locating threads about adding some filter socks to my RSM 650 sump? I am horrible at figuring out how to use these forums. But I am trying. I appreciate any help. Thanks
Bruce

bhbbhb

Thanks do much. I am glad I found this site. I love my 650 - but I am trying to solve a few issues. First I don't like the big black foam blocks in the far right part of of the sump. I want to figure out how to switch out to socks that are easy to change. Second - I am having trouble keeping the back overflow area clean. Seems like lots of debris settle in the chamber with the 4 over flow pumps. I wonder if other folks have the same issue or how they solved it.
Last trying to bring down nitrates. Started using Red Sea reducer and working with their support on getting the dose correct. Again thanks for the input. Bruce

bhbbhb

Regarding the overflow area of the RSM 650 - is anyone else having issues with debris settling in this area ? Anyone suggestions to remove it ?
Thanks
Bruce

Seagars

that is my biggest issue along with needing more moonlighting. but you just have to get back there periodically and siphon out.

Wolffman64

Someone in here, can't remember who it was right now, put a rectangular piece of clear Perspex in the rear chamber, resting it on top of the pumps. That way, all the water going through the skimmer gate (with the debris) goes straight into the overflow cup, and into the sump filtration socks. This will reduce the amount of debris collecting in the rear chamber.

I use a wet/dry vacuum to suck the debris out from the rear chamber. A PITA, but.....

bhbbhb

Can I get some assistance locating threads about adding some filter socks to my RSM 650 sump? I am horrible at figuring out how to use these forums. But I am trying. I appreciate any help. Thanks
Bruce

Still trying to find folks who have converted the RSM 650 - to accept socks on the down pipes. Any suggestions ?

David Shaw

i just bought some 6 inch round filter socks. I then just slip them under the downpipes, and the sock lip rests on the top of sump glass. I change every 3 days or so. Works just fine for me.

Choff

David is spot on (as always). I'd say just about everyone had dumped those sponges. You can slide both down pipes into the sock and friction will hold it in place just fine.

I need to find that back chamber mod. I missed that one. Otherwise, yes it's simply a pain to clean. I do it every 4 months when I pull the pumps to service them.

...stupid auto correct