RSM 250 Microbubbles

reefguyutah

Hello!

I have my RSM 250 up and running and have noticed microbubbles in the water. I have read through several posts and tips, but the bubbles will not leave. The bubbles are being created by the stock skimmer and blown into the tank by pump 1. I have the black sponge above pump 1, but the other smaller sponge by the heater has been removed. My water level in the sump is at line 1 and skimmer is producing bubbles and foam. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Microbubble are most always related to water level - post us a pic of your gate height in the DT (display tank)

or trash... in one of the pumps... disassemble & clean pumps - especially inside the impeller housing.

Hope this helps :nessie:

reefguyutah

Microbubble are most always related to water level - post us a pic of your gate height in the DT (display tank)

or trash... in one of the pumps... disassemble & clean pumps - especially inside the impeller housing.

Hope this helps :nessie:

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the info. Attached are the pictures. I will also remove and clean the three pumps (sides and skimmer).IMG_5931.JPG

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
hard to see the notches in the sides compared to the bottom of of the open - can you get a pic shooting through the tank front

how high is your water from the rim?

takes some playing with - you want water at the top line... of the water level window, but may need to add sw to get there & move down the gate... hope this is helping... a bit hard to explain

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
ahhh... that pic helps.... move the gate down to just above the bottom notch... like 1/2" more down

then add sw & see if the bubble go away (in water level window, between top two lines)

you will need to adjust your skinner neck height up quite a bit, most likely

reefguyutah

ahhh... that pic helps.... move the gate down to just above the bottom notch... like 1/2" more down

then add sw & see if the bubble go away (in water level window, between top two lines)

Thank you, I just moved the gate down as indicated. I already have saltwater in the tank as there is live sand and rock. Also, skimmer neck has been raised a bit. My fingers are crossed. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
PS -this is how I run mine & what works for me... easy to try & see if the above helps - if I have microbubbles... it always low water levels or trash in a pump

others may have other suggestions...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
To raise your water level... you top off with plain ro/di not sw (normally for evaporation), but here... you would add more sw (saltwater) to raise the level

reefguyutah

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 10

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
also note if your don't know this already... your going to be adding ro/di (not sw) every few days because of evaporation (the salt does not evaporate) about a gallon to two gallons a week (unless you run a chiller, then it will be a bit less) you need to an ato or do this every other day or so...

if not... the drop in water level will start microbubbles

I have always had microbubbles after water changes because my skimmer goes crazy. But it does settle eventually. But I have worked out how to stop them entering my display area. I found the bubbles found a way past the foam filters and into the pumps. If u look in the back you can see where they're getting through. I found filling the gaps with cotton wool, using polishing pads and adding bio balls has completely removed all microbubbles from entering the display and added extra filtration at the same time. Hope that helps

reefguyutah

I have always had microbubbles after water changes because my skimmer goes crazy. But it does settle eventually. But I have worked out how to stop them entering my display area. I found the bubbles found a way past the foam filters and into the pumps. If u look in the back you can see where they're getting through. I found filling the gaps with cotton wool, using polishing pads and adding bio balls has completely removed all microbubbles from entering the display and added extra filtration at the same time. Hope that helps

Great tips, thank you. I will definitely look into them.

reefguyutah

Many (I believe most in their RSM 250s in the RSM Club here on RS) don't run any of the black foam filters - just fyi

I have read that and it sounds like running them will increase nitrates if they are not cleaned on a consistent basis. Sounds like addressing the issue by cleaning pumps or adjusting the water levels should fix it. I will be cleaning my pumps today.