RSM 250 C .. Thinking about buying this week. Questions before I send $$$

Hi everyone,

I have been viewing this great forum for the past few weeks.. I have never had a SW tank before.. I am really interested in starting a tank and was lookIng at the AIO RedSea Max 250 C.

Red Sea advertises this AIO as a tank for all skill levels and states simple plug and play action.

After reading much in this forum I see members having high water temp issues that also cause 3/4 to 1 gal daily evaporation.

Then there seems to be the loud skimmer that has been known to have issues when water levels change.

With a full time job and a family I want to focus on learning this hobby but I don't want to spend all this money and time over AIO design flaws..

*Now I could be out of line since I don't have experience so that's why I am here :)

Thoughts?

Also, if there is anyone in North NJ willing to show me their 250c that would be helpful!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Most... find the RSM 250's work great stock, mine has... all skimmers make a small amount of noise... whatever brand you get, sound is relative the DB level is low, it not "loud" imo

see what others think...

all tanks have evaporation... this is a not a "flaw design" related to a AIO tank - adding topoff water takes about as long as feeding the fish - no big deal, many add an ato & fill it once a week

hope this helps :nessie: remember on a forum, your often reading about everyone new learning curve, the RSM Club here on RS is actually a fantastic resource for some one new, you get to ask question to 100's of people that have the exact same tank as you

RSM AIO work... just look through this thread
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/red-sea-max-full-tank-shot-photos.37227/

Pat24601

I think in all forums you read about problems more than successes because that's what people need help with.

I ran my C-250 100% stock (except ATO) for 9 months and it has always been great. I've never had temp problems, loud skimmer, or anything else.

Keep in mind plug and play in this hobby does not mean iPad easy. It's as easy as it gets in this hobby, but this hobby has a learning curve (such as what love rock is, how to cycle, etc).

Still I love the C-250. It's basically fill it up with water, let it cycle, and go. No worrying about what parts to buy etc,

It's a truly awesome aquarium. I don't think it has any serious design flaws.

I have a ton of business travel and 2 small twin children. If it weren't for the AIO, I wouldn't be doing this.

This is all great information from all of you! Can't thank you enough and I'm happy to see that this forum is all about helping people..

For those of you who may know... Is there a major advantage going with a new max 250c vs a used max 250 that is a year old?

$1900 for new or $1300 for used with live rock and some fish.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
that is a hard one to say... imo - a big part of the fun, is building your scape & adding just what you want....

I always post $$$ are relative... especially in our hobbies, at one point in life many years ago... the $600 difference would be huge, so it's hard to say... I do like a good deal... to me that is perfect working condition & 1/2 the price of new...

The new c250 they say (I have the original) has a nicer skimmer & the square look rather than the rounded corners... I love my 250, but the new C250 are very beautiful too

the 250's have been out since 2011 so if it is a bit older... than a year, you are closer to new bulbs $120, maybe a new pumps after some years... another $100 or so...

I think for the $600 difference I would go new, everyone is in a different place - I do think you would love either...

you can checkout replacement parts here,,,
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-250_c37.htm

one last thought... starting new may have no "problems" with bad algae, aiptasia, etc... but they can be overcome...

hope something here helps... see what others think :nessie:

also new everything for 1 year is under 100% warranty - Red Sea has great customer service !

Pat24601

I agree with Glenn. For $600, I would go new. The C-250 does have some improvements that are supposed to help with things like temperature. That said, they are very similar tanks overall. So, the question is how important is $600 to you? I'm an old guy well along in his career. It's not a huge amount of money to me, but everyone's budget is different. If it is a lot of money to you, then a max 250 is a very good tank. Unless something about it specifically is broken, there is not a thing wrong going that route.

Danreef

$600 ....... is a chiller difference.

If you go for the used one, check carefully !!!!! That all is working and no crashes in any part of the body or glass.

When I got my RSM 250, it was the last one in the warehouse and with a non matching furniture (white cabinet and black tank). It was $300 less due to that than a new one ($1600) . But !!!! The RSM 250 was discontinued and they were getting the new RSM C250 at $2000. So it was $700 difference. And I got my chiller and other stuff with that money :)

In my case it was brand new but the last one at the warehouse.

Difficult decision in your case. If $$$ isn't a problem I will go with the new one with one year warranty.

Cheers
Daniel

Pat24601

Brand new is a big deal to me personally just because I know (or think I know) everything is working and nothing is damaged. I don't know enough to really even check for that myself.

spiraling

I got a great deal on a used tank and don't regret it. Yes I needed new bulbs. shoulda just gone with LEDs then :) you will want an ATO too. What extras come with the tank? Any coral or just a tank full of algae?

Are the fish the guy has the ones you want? Can you give them away to a local store if not?

I would probably see if I could talk the guy down a bit.

Adrienne

I got my C-250 new 15 months ago. It's been a great tank and I've run it stock. I have added an ATO and chiller.
Parts that have failed within the last 15 months have been my left circulation pump, my heater, (both pump and heater faulty from the beginning), my skimmer pump and now my rear fan although it is unconfirmed if it is the fan itself or the actual power connection.
Note that the C250 when it first came out only had one side of the rear panel cut out which meant that if you wanted to run a chiller and an ATO you had to drill the cabinet yourself. Not sure if they changed it back to the original style cabinet or not but I did receive an email saying they were looking at it.
I've now outgrown it and are moving to a custom build, although I will retain it for the meantime.

DaveK

Here is what it comes down to. A RSM 250 and the 250 C are good systems and many people have been very happy with them. The big advantage here is that the system works right out of the box, and the value is excellent. The downside is that you do get it as is.

Other people look at the possible problems the original post points out and would much rather build something they want, exactly to their own specs. This kind of a systems will be exactly way you want, but you'll spend a lot more time installing all the components. You'll also likely spend more money on it.

What do you want out of the system? What might be ideal for me could be totally wrong for someone else.

Pat24601

Update: I ordered a new Max C250 and will be picking it up on Friday Dec 11th.. The deal on the used one fell through but I'm ok with that.

I have A Lot to learn!!!

That's the way I would have gone anyway. As I said, though, it's very budget depending and this isn't a cheap hobby. So, budget choices are a constant factor.

I just know that I don't know enough about used to tanks to feel comfortable I could spot a problem and it doesn't doesn't take a lot for a problem to add up to $600. One bad skimmer or scratched glass you didn't notice could do it.

Regardless, enjoy the tank! It's the same one I have and I really love it!

Adrienne

Going new was the way I decided to go when I was looking at a secondhand 250 or a new C250. I haven't regretted that choice as it gave me warranty and I knew how well treated the equipment had been :)

It is a really good beginner tank and for some,not so beginner because it does have the ability to be modified and therefore grow with you.
Being new to salt won't matter. On these forums there is a wealth of knowledge and the people here are so kind and good about imparting it. :)

Pat24601

Going new was the way I decided to go when I was looking at a secondhand 250 or a new C250. I haven't regretted that choice as it gave me warranty and I knew how well treated the equipment had been :)

It is a really good beginner tank and for some,not so beginner because it does have the ability to be modified and therefore grow with you.
Being new to salt won't matter. On these forums there is a wealth of knowledge and the people here are so kind and good about imparting it. :)

+1