RSM 250 C Maintenance - how often do you clean pumps, etc.

Salty150

OK... silly question...

Is there no other place to put the water hose so you don't have to unhook it when you change your media...?

Adrienne

Not that I have been able to find - I have a chiller as well so left hand side is totally chocker. Thats also the side with a dodgy pump and I often have to raise the pump to get it to restart. It's pretty easy to unhook the hose :)

Pat24601

For what it's worth, I don't use a chiller at all, so I put my ATO hose, sensor, etc. on the left side where there is plenty of room. Obviously, if I ran a chiller, I'd have a different issue.

Salty150

For what it's worth, I don't use a chiller at all, so I put my ATO hose, sensor, etc. on the left side where there is plenty of room. Obviously, if I ran a chiller, I'd have a different issue.

No issues without running a chiller?

Seems to be the consensus that if you keep the stock system you don't need one...?

CDMSeaLife

Hi Salty....erm, how do I put this.....erm...I didn't think of that!!!! lmfao!

Now I've read what both you and Pat have said, it makes perfect sense and is probably something I should change. Problem I have is that the only decent place for my ATO sensors is in the chamber for the media rack - nestling under the handle and above the top shelf. Putting the floss on the bottom will mean awkward (but not insurmountable) changes more frequently. :)
I have my Tunze 3155 ATO in the left chamber on the plastic wall that divides the heater chamber from the skimmer chamber. It's a tight fit but I never have to move it. You can also install with magnet on the aquarium wall and floats facing chamber). I also have a chiller pump in dedicated chamber.

Pat24601

No issues without running a chiller?

Seems to be the consensus that if you keep the stock system you don't need one...?

On the C-250, I've had no issues at all without running a chiller. I live in the Southern US, but I do keep my air conditioning at about 74. I'd do that without the tank. I'm not doing anything special for it. If people didn't run their air conditioning at my level (say 78, which I guess is what utility companies often "recommend") and the room temp got hotter, maybe they would need a chiller, I don't know.

From my reading, I think the older model RSM runs hotter and chillers were more a requirement, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that.

Pat24601

Ok thanks, that does it I'm taking mine out (-:

I never like to tell anyone what to do, but I actually think you'll like it better if you do. And, if you change your mind, it's not like it's hard to put them back in....

It really is a PITA to maintain them and I do notice the difference when I'm doing my weekly WC with not having to clean the sponges.

Of course, if something clogs your pumps and breaks them, don't blame me. :)

CDMSeaLife

I never like to tell anyone what to do, but I actually think you'll like it better if you do. And, if you change your mind, it's not like it's hard to put them back in....

It really is a PITA to maintain them and I do notice the difference when I'm doing my weekly WC with not having to clean the sponges.

Of course, if something clogs your pumps and breaks them, don't blame me. :)
Haha I won't, blame you that is. And I'm so tired of cleaning them!

pablomay28

OK... silly question...

Is there no other place to put the water hose so you don't have to unhook it when you change your media...?

Before I installed my sump I had the sensor on the left side with pump #1 and the water hose going through the chiller accessory side and had the water pour in where the skimmer cup is.

Should be easier for you since on the C250 the rear is open

Last edited: