RSM 130D Eheim 600 Pump mod

Ripperj

I was having issues with my stock return pumps-they did not always restart after feeding, so I decided to "upgrade" to the Eheim 600 compact pumps.

It was a quick mod, but I am not very satisfied with the end result, the flow is drastically reduced from the stock pumps. I had previously removed the stock skimmer and went to the 9002 and Intank media basket. This made a drastic increase in flow compared to stock(the bio beads and stock carbon were removed from the pump chamber)

I bought the pumps and some 12/16mm(1/2") Eheim tubing from Marine depot. I also purchsed some elbows, but they were not suitable (the hole size was slightly too large for the stock pump discharge pipes to fit.)

I ended up just running the tubing direct to the outlet nozzles, with a nice gentle bend to the tubing to make the turn.
The stock discharge pipes can be easily removed from the stock pumps with a gentle twisting motion and a pair of pliers. The are glued in with minimal glue. The Eheim tubing fits nicely on both the pump and the stock discharge pipes. I cut the tube length such that one pump is close to the bottom and the second is 1/2 way up the pump chamber.

Right now one of the pumps is touching the side of the pump chamber- causing a bit of noise, but this can be fixed.

The pumps seem to start and stop reliably, and the flow seems sufficient, but definately less than stock. If I was to do it again I would try bigger pumps.

here is a pic of the parts

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 124

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
don't know if this is so... but just did just read manufacturers specs are

Eheim 600 pump Output: 160 gph
Red Sea stock pump Output: 146 gph

Wonder if head pressure loss is accounting for it... elbows & distant

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I searched for this..."EHEIM Compact Pump series" and got...

The new EHEIM Compact Pump series for use under water is available with three different outputs: 80, 160 and 265 gph - The flow rate can be adjusted by the slidable output regulator as required.

Weird it can say... 265 gph - then say... Pump Output: 160 gph

Eheim Compact Pump

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tom - or anyone that knows... on these little pumps, does adding the elbows... account for head loss pressure & if so, any idea how much?

Ripperj

The 265 is for the compact 1000.
I did not use elbows, and the tube is bent in a very shallow 90, i would imagine that the 10" of tubing on the lower pump is not helping!