RSM 130 moonlight LED’s not working

jimv

I’ve had my RSM 130 set up for about 3 weeks and yesterday one of the moonlight LED’s went dead. I opened up the hood and the LED’s are wired in parallel so it appeared that since the one led was still working the driver was fine and I just got a bad LED. I called Red Sea this morning and explained the issue and ordered a new set of replacement LED’s. When my LED’s turned on tonight the remaining one flickered and went out. So now I’m thinking that the issue is my driver and not the LED’s. Any chance they both went bad at the same time? If it is the driver why would one work an extra day and then go out? Any thoughts?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a bump, there are several members of the club that are great at diy & sorting electrical problems, hopefully one of them can offer somme advise...here hoping you can get it sorted.

jimv

I called RSM today and they still think its the LED's. The replacements have been shipped so we will see.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for the update - any pics of the fix, would be great & would help others in the club that might have it happen.

jimv

I received the new LED's from RSM and used the fan install instructions to take apart the hood.

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/downloads/MAX130%20hood%20fan%20replacement%20instructions.pdf

I replaced both LED's and all the wiring going to the driver.

IMG_0930_zps03f9fa54.jpg

I feel that I want to add two additional moonlights like the RSM130D. The 130, 130D and 250 all use the same driver. They have 2, 4 and 8 moonlight LED's running of the same driver depending on the model. My two LED's were run in parallel, do any 130D or 250 owners know how the additional LED's are wired? Are the all in parallel, series or parallel series. I found some LED's on ebay and would like to give it a try.