Royal gramma with opaque tail

jimv

I purchased a royal gramma and cardinal a week ago and placed them in my QT. They are both eating well but half if the royal gramma's tail has turned opaque. I tried to take a couple of pics but it will no show up. Does this sound like tail rot? Any preemptive treatments I should take?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I know so little about fish diseases - maybe others can advise - but if it helps any... I did read this

Fin-rot

As the name suggests, fin rot causes the fins to turn opaque and they may even become blood-streaked. The erosion of the fin may continue till it reaches the base of the fin. At this point, the fish dies. The bacteria that cause this generally do not affect healthy fish. When fish are stressed, or when the fins have already been damaged due to excessive fin nipping, then the disease takes root. Commercially available anti-bacterial medicines have to be used to treat the fish.

Oxylebius

Well, based on this website could be two different things - tail rot, as Glenn suggested or possibly a fungus called Saprolegnia. The website talks about both and then at the bottom of the page suggests treatment for it.

Good Luck

jimv

Here is the best pic I could get. You can see a bit of white on the bottom right.
henysy4y.jpg

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

jimv

I called around and found 1 fish store that carried Maracyn 2 saltwater. I drove 45 minutes to pick it up and when I arrived I noticed it had expired. I can find Maracyn 2 freshwater. Will this work? Another member recommended Furan 2 but I have not been able to locate that locally. I can order online but I don't think I should wait a week for them to arrive.

jimv

Also, can this spread? Despite my better judgment I bought two fish at the same time and put them in my qt tank.

jimv

Any chance this could just go away on its own? I was not able to source the the medication I was looking for locally so I ordered it online. It should be here in a couple of days but it seems that the trail is getting better.

jimv

So the tail cleared up for a week with no meds and now its back. The fish eats well and I see no spots on the fish. I also don't see any thing wrong with the cardinal in the tank. The only thing I know of that goes away and comes back again is ich depending on what part of its life cycle it's at but it does not look like it. Any ideas? Should I just permittivity treat it?

jimv

I bought Melafix and Furan-2. I started treating with the Melafix, is this the way to go? Do you have any experience with this treatment? I tried to get some Maracyn-Two but apparently you need a prescription from a vet in the state of Florida.

Oxylebius

Sorry, I have not treated this disease. The advice I would give would be from an internet search. If it is bacterial, then antibiotics should work, but not sure if gram-negative or gram-positive bacteria play a role here.

I really hope the fish recovers.