Rowaphos

Spooda420

Whats better the rowa sponge or the reactor combo? I need to start to think about removing the po4 from my system.

Also if the reactor is better is it possible to run that in conjuction with my CA reactor? I mean using the output line coming from the CA reactor going into the rowaphos reactor? just so I dont have to buy yet another pump. or would the rowa phos remove any goodies coming out of the CA reactor?

TIA...

C :smoking:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The rowa sponge is a good product but you can't beat the rowa reactor. I'd like to get one for my system one day :)

I have no idea if you can run it in conjunction with a CA reactor.

Spooda420

so you think the reactor is better? Thats what I thought as well. I still am wondering about the output from a CA reactor running to the rowa reactor... ANYONE?

mps9506

You can run the output of the Ca reactor through Rowaphos. If you are using a quality media I don't see a need for it however.
I just run my media in a bag and have been very happy with it. I also use much less than what most people apparetnly use. the reactor is supposed to be the best way to use it, but again, I've been happy with using it in a bag.

Oh and you still would want to use a pump to feed the reactor. I don't think you would get enough circulation with the effluent to keep the GFO fluidized.

Spooda420

mps9506 said:
You can run the output of the Ca reactor through Rowaphos. If you are using a quality media I don't see a need for it however.
I just run my media in a bag and have been very happy with it. I also use much less than what most people apparetnly use. the reactor is supposed to be the best way to use it, but again, I've been happy with using it in a bag.

Oh and you still would want to use a pump to feed the reactor. I don't think you would get enough circulation with the effluent to keep the GFO fluidized.

hey Mike, I was thinking about skipping the pump for the reactor all together, and just use the effulent from the CA reactor to provide water to the rowaphos reactor.

im not worried about the po4 from the CA reactor I use ARM I just did not want to run another pump back there.. (last time i counted I had 13 plugs for differnt things back there...)

How long can I expect the rowa phos to last if I have .25 (salifert) of po4? Im debating if I should buy the 5 liter bucket for 266 bucks or the 1 litter...

do you see better growth on the SPS? and no algea? what would that do if I had a bunch of cheato in the sump?

Thanks for you help...

c

mkpaulson

I am using rowa now in a phosban retractor with good results, I tried using it in a life reef filter cylinder and didn't like to results. in the life reef filter cylinder the water flows from the top down in the media became pack but in the phosban retractor the water flows from the bottom up keeping the media from getting packed. far as your question goes on running it in conjunction with a calcium retractor I would ask rowa-usa at http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5254

mps9506

Spooda420 said:
hey Mike, I was thinking about skipping the pump for the reactor all together, and just use the effulent from the CA reactor to provide water to the rowaphos reactor.

im not worried about the po4 from the CA reactor I use ARM I just did not want to run another pump back there.. (last time i counted I had 13 plugs for differnt things back there...)

How long can I expect the rowa phos to last if I have .25 (salifert) of po4? Im debating if I should buy the 5 liter bucket for 266 bucks or the 1 litter...

do you see better growth on the SPS? and no algea? what would that do if I had a bunch of cheato in the sump?

Thanks for you help...

c
Sorry, I'm really not that much help :D
I use phosban, simply because it is easier for me to get. However I use half of the recomended doseage in my tank (Rowa and TLF recomend different doseages for essentially the same product, I don't understand it). I have never tested my tank for phosphates so I really have NO idea at all how long it would take for it to go down. I don't see better growth, I do see less algae (perhaps because I went barebottom however?), I can barely grow macroalgae anyways, so I'm not really sure what the chaeto will do, my guess is that it will have little affect as chaeto probably is limited by nitrogen in our closed systems as opposed to phosphate.

My only real advise is to start out with a small amount for the first month or two. MANY people that started out with the full dose experienced serious STN issues. not sure what caused it, but most likely rapid changes in water parameters from dumping a half pound of iron in their tanks. You can expect changes in alk, as well as phosphate and clouding (iron dust) issues if not used lightly.

As far as adding another pump for the reactor. you can either try running it passively first (I'm having good luck with this). OR you can try tapping off the outlet of another pump. IE just put a tee fitting on the outlet of your feed pump for the Ca reactor and have it feed the rowaphos reactor as well, use a small ball valve to regulate. Protein skimmer feed pumps could work as well if you have a recirc style skimmer with a lower flow pump.
I just don't think you will get sufficent flow through the media if you stick the reactor on the outlet of your Ca reactor.

dwall174

mps9506 said:
Sorry, I'm really not that much help :D
I use phosban, simply because it is easier for me to get. However I use half of the recomended doseage in my tank (Rowa and TLF recomend different doseages for essentially the same product, I don't understand it).
I use Phosban also & it works great for me, I just place it in a bag at the bottom of my sump!
So what's the difference between Phosban & Rowaphos?

mps9506

Rowa is shipped wet and I think the particle size is different.
The actual composition is the exact same though. Nothing but a bag of rust :D

fugazi

i use a phosban reactor (tlf) with phosban for about 6 weeks now and swear by it. i always had po4 at about .1 no matter how much i cut back on feeding and how frequent the water changes were. after abou 3 weeks it is now less than .003 basicly undetectable with a salifert kit. this week i just bought some rowaphos and am going to try that. it says you need to use less and have heard others say it more absorbant so it last longer. for the price difference i hope so. we shall see. hth:D

SunnyX

I recently purchased some ROWAPhos and am very pleased with it. I went out out and purchased a 125gl/hr hang on the back filter and put the bag in there. Works great for me because my calcium reactor drips into it and i can test the water coming out of the filter to make sure its working instead of testing the tank. And best of all it only costed me $12!!