Round 3: lets try 180g reef with 150g ref.

hpfunk420

Let’s try reef keeping, one more time.
I lost my 90g reef 3years ago due to a poisoning by an impaled cucumber. In early spring of 2008 I rescued an abandoned 200g reef, or what was left of a once amazing tank. I stuffed everything salvageable into my 90g aquarium, the 200g glass DIY went in the trash. After months of TLC and upgraded equipment the tank looked fantastic (see pic below). It was not to be!!! By the time I realized that a seam blew on my 10+ years plus acrylic tank, all the corals were baking under lights with no water and my fish were flopping around in 3inches of water and sand mix. I lost 99% of the coral in my reef and half the fish. But if it hadn't been for those survivors I might be back on the sidelines of this hobby. My wife insisted I get the fish a new tank right away!!! (Screaming at me as if it was my fault and crying about the live loss) Did I mention the flood also ruined her art studio...OUCH!!! This was late Feb 2010, I have since restarted in a brand new GLASS tank and stand never to moved (I hope). I put water in the tank in March 2010, as of 7-22-10 my mixed reef is seeded with aqua cultured coral frags and now I must be patient.
I hope you enjoy the pictures I will be posting.

This pic is of the 90g before failure.
photo-1.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Best of Luck with the new Gourous new tank !

hpfunk420

Close up of the mix that the 90g had. Most of what is seen hear i didn't chose, they were part of the rescue. The exceptions are the clam the fiji letter. Most of what you see is gone. But that sailfin, foxface, green polys, the clam, one of 75heads of frogspawn and the orange recordea, are the reason that my wife agreed to let me set up a BRAND NEW tank.
IMAG0035.jpg
more pics of new tank coming

Dweezil

I must say I admire your tenacity. I might have wanted to give up but I'm glad you didn't! :)

hpfunk420

The first reef was nice but I had no clue. The rescue was free, and had loads of goodies sps, fish, the biggest hammer colony and the biggest frogspawn I have ever seen. One head of the frogspawn was saved, view above pic.
Even though the new tank set up was a rushed. This tank will be my masterpiece. Most all of the corals will be my choices. Most all of the fish will be my choices. I try to look at it as the grandfather of all my future tanks. I don't think I will ever stop. Its one of the few addictions I have left and I have no intention quitting!

hpfunk420

Welcome to RS ,sorry hear about your run of bad luck
I'm sorry for starting my thread off complaining about past failures. I was just trying to give my new tank context in my reef keeping history. I am very excited about this tank because this time i have got the set up perfect and simple. This time the tank is positioned in an area I spend 8 to 16 hours a day. (working from home)
It might be difficult to get anything done once this baby starts to mature. I already sit in front of it and just watch and zone out.