Rotifers

rebekwl

I found a local LFS that sells Tigger Pods and Rotifers. I wanted to get the Tiggers for my Scooter Blenny, but they were sold out so they told me the rotifers would work as well. I haven't heard much about these and was wondering if my Scooter Blenny will eat them. They were only $10, so I'm not too worried if they won't be eaten, but I want to make sure he's getting all the pods and nutrition he can get. I will probably go this weekend to see if they have some tigger pods and try those out. Also, I swear the bottle looked like it contained green water and that's it. How big are rotifers? Should I have been able to see them? It's hard to buy something that's invisible and believe that it's benificial!! Thanks!!!

chris&barb

rotifers are about the size of a speck of dust. i doubt the blenny will be interested. if you have sps they will eat them. i use rotifers for clown fish larva, the larva are about 1mm when they hatch and are only feed the rotifers for about 8 days. by then they are about 3mm and need to be feed baby brine shrimp because they would have to eat about 500 rotifers per day to continue growing. one baby brine shrimp has about the same nutritional value as 40 rotifers

lcstorc

The tiger pods bottle will likely look empty as well. There is still good stuff in there. Take a look under a microscope and you can see the pods. Not sure about the rotifers since I have only used the frozen ones.

rebekwl

Good to know that they are so small. I swore they just sold me a bottle of green water for 10 bucks, hahaha. Not good that they eat SPS!!!! I don't have any though anyways.

Ok, deffinitely going to pick up some tigger pods this weekend! I know you can hardly trust what anyone at the LFS tells you, but i figured that buying them would be better than nothing. She said that my scooter would eat them!! Poor baby, he seems ok so far though. He's still hopping around eating pods left and right.

Oooooh, I found a TON of copepods in my QT tank too. They are EVERYWHERE! Any easy way for me to transfer some to my main display?

Thanks Lynn, that makes me feel better knowing that it's normal for the bottle to "look" empty (as far a tigger pos anyways). That gives me piece of mind, I won't be wondering whether or not there is anything in there!! Wish I had a microscope, I bet I would use it ALL THE TIME!!!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Not good that they eat SPS!!!! I don't have any though anyways.

I think what chris&barb was saying, was that the sps will eat the rotifers, not the other way around.:D At any rate, they will be good for something in your tank. They add to the floating zooplankton population in your tank!:)

rebekwl

I think what chris&barb was saying, was that the sps will eat the rotifers, not the other way around.:D At any rate, they will be good for something in your tank. They add to the floating zooplankton population in your tank!:)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I thought it sounded a little funny, but you never know!! Learn something new everyday! Good to know they are benificial either way. Should I add them now and then or should they continue to reproduce? THNX!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I believe most rotifers are freshwater inhabitants. They also inhabit soil, lichens etc. There are some saltwater species, which I would assume is what you have. I don't know if they will multily in your tank. Good question!:)

Bobbi

I have some in buckets on my patio that I put out there after thinking I had some clownfish larvae and had ordered rotifers. I checked yesterday and thought I could see some swimming around. They have been there about a month. Wilkerson says they will live outside in the sunlight indefinitely and then when you need them just add more greenwater. I've been adding greenwater on occasion. (It's called Rotifer Diet and came with the rotifers.) According to her, you don't need an air stone or anything. The sunlight keeps them alive. Has anyone done this successfully?
Bobbi

chris&barb

sorry folks:away: not getting e-mail notifications.

yes SPS will eat the rotifers not the other way around

chris&barb

I have some in buckets on my patio that I put out there after thinking I had some clownfish larvae and had ordered rotifers. I checked yesterday and thought I could see some swimming around. They have been there about a month. Wilkerson says they will live outside in the sunlight indefinitely and then when you need them just add more greenwater. I've been adding greenwater on occasion. (It's called Rotifer Diet and came with the rotifers.) According to her, you don't need an air stone or anything. The sunlight keeps them alive. Has anyone done this successfully?
Bobbi

rotifers do not need light. in fact they do better in the dark. they need air stones to keep them and the water moving, daily 25% water changes and twice daily phyto feedings. you may still have a few in your bucket but if you want to keep your investment( there not cheap :) ) you should pump some air in them, feed them and harvest them everyday