Rose BTA Feeding with Clowns?

Clutch

Hello all, so I got my first DEEP Rose color BTA 5 days ago. An amazing creature to say the least. It so interesting because I have 4 clowns with a good amount of other huge corals such as torches, elegance's, etc. For approx. 4 months, they never went near them for any hosting. Once the Rose was put in, (which stayed put btw) after 3 days, the clowns started getting closer and closer to the Rose. Well after a week they are diving into the Rose like Olympic divers! One of the larger Clowns beds down in the Rose like he's dead! Very scary when I first saw this.

So my question is about feeding the Roses. I've read so much about feeding and not feeding? I have also read that the clowns will actually feed the Rose as well? So the jury is still our for me, do I feed my 4"-6" Rose when fully opened with Silversides, Mysis, etc. or does the Clowns take care of this nowadays? I have never seen them do this except at times I do see them dive in to the Roses mouth? Also, how often do I feed? I've also read every day, to every other day, to once a week.

Also, my Rose never really blows up his bubbles, they kinda inflate, but they are small in diameter, not like I see in most pictures, but he does open up quite wide and looks fantastic. Is he hungry? Just trying to get some real world feedback here. Of course I do NOT wish to sky rocket my Nitrates with Silversides as well. Thanks all!

lcstorc

Mine seem happier when fed a couple of times a week. I give them the food directly and make sure they eat it so it doesn't skyrocket my nirates. I've tried both ways and they seem happiest this way.
It also depends on the amount of light. Less light they need more food. More light they need less food.

CATALYST

At first, I fed mine directly and the clowns would have to go in to eat. Now if I drop food in, they'll bring the bigger chunks down to the nem. Some days I drop food in, some days I use the turkey baster. I have a green one...no bubbles. It did at one time...

Clutch

Thanks for the advice, I did get some Silversides and he gobbled a half of one immediately the very first time.

ClownBTA1.jpg

PICT3727.jpg

Dweezil

Clutch ~ I saw your photo's over in the FTS thread and I must say your tank is amazing. This latest addition of your BTA is awesome. You should put one of those pictures with the clowns up in the Sept photo contest!

Sapphire

that is a beautiful rose as i said in your FTS posts! I believe they do better with direct feeding. I have found that although my clowns will feed the anemone sometimes, they are just as likely to try and steal food from it. I often try and divert them by feeding on the other side of the tank and then quickly getting some food to the BTA. My BTA was pretty bleached when I got it and had quite a slow feeding response so I was also guarding it while it ate!! (Not necessary now - and by the looks of yours that won't be an issue - looks lovely and healthy). I was feeding a couple of times a week but have pulled that back a bit now. I feed a mixture of things - mysis, pieces of mussel and pureed mix of whole mussel, shrimps, mysis brine rotifers etc.

That rose bubble tip anenome looks great i have been in the market for one myself. were did you get yours?

I agree your tank looks great do you have a refugium?

Clutch

Clutch ~ I saw your photo's over in the FTS thread and I must say your tank is amazing. This latest addition of your BTA is awesome. You should put one of those pictures with the clowns up in the Sept photo contest!

Do you have a link for this? I did not know this was here. Thank you.

Clutch

that is a beautiful rose as i said in your FTS posts! I believe they do better with direct feeding. I have found that although my clowns will feed the anemone sometimes, they are just as likely to try and steal food from it. I often try and divert them by feeding on the other side of the tank and then quickly getting some food to the BTA. My BTA was pretty bleached when I got it and had quite a slow feeding response so I was also guarding it while it ate!! (Not necessary now - and by the looks of yours that won't be an issue - looks lovely and healthy). I was feeding a couple of times a week but have pulled that back a bit now. I feed a mixture of things - mysis, pieces of mussel and pureed mix of whole mussel, shrimps, mysis brine rotifers etc.

Thank you for the advice. I did feed him for the first time several days ago a 1/2 of a Silverside. He closed up and in just a few minutes it was gone!! :bugout:

Clutch

That rose bubble tip anenome looks great i have been in the market for one myself. were did you get yours?

I agree your tank looks great do you have a refugium?

My LFS is an awesome place where they get some amazing sea life in. The owner knew I was VERY cautious about getting ANY type of Anemones. We talked for a long time over several weeks when this "perfect" specimen as he called it came in. He explained the Rose BTA's were probably the most hardy along with not moving much IF they like their spot in bright lighting to medium + current. (I knew the perfect spot for him, or at least hoped I did). He knows my tank VERY well along with it's light, water parameters I keep etc. so I took the plunge 7 days ago last Sunday and this Rose BTA stayed in the EXACT spot I put him in. The only thing he did was SQUEEZE into the small crevasses of the Live Kupang Rock! I was a bit concerned because the crevasse was quite narrow. After 3 watchful days on my behalf, my clowns sniffed around until the 1st one got real brave and just dove in! :D

So far so good, I just want to keep him for a LONG time.

Sapphire

well it looks very happy in your tank so far!

I love watching them feed - it's quite fascinating I think!

Dweezil

Very beautiful Clutch. I stand by my earlier statement that you should add one of those photos to the contest. :bouncer: