RockWork

What's the best live rock and why(you can add in your comments)

• Tonga

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Fiji

Votes: 64 61.5%
  • Marshall island

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Cook island

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caribbean

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Fake rocks

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon yes (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon no (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Barebottom is great

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Deep sand bed

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Coarse sand bed

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Fine sand bed

Votes: 28 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Middle left. Leather coral?

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Yes mate it is. twas in my old tank then in another tank while fish were getting coppered. Unfortunately it kept falling of the rock and a bit broke off. hence the horse shoe shape of it. Mind you, I did gain another little bit, as the part which broke off is alive and kicking.

It will stay up that high until i get the LED's for the tank.

I have some other corals perched on my fake tonga/ branching corals. Just to upset the purists, they are nice fibreglass ones lol. Will look good in a year or so, when the are merely hosts for coral.

Note to ones self.......must enable email notification when posts have had further replies.

I added a little more rock to the left part of the center rockwork and lots of corals. the tank is six months old today!

sixmonths.jpg

I know I'm a late comer to this thread, but this tank is WICKED!! If I had the artistic flare I had in my younger days, my aquascape would look like this. It's very much what I had in mind when I was rescaping these past few weeks, but it turned into 2 giant islands. Very nice. Any updates?

If you are going for a minimalist look that looks natural, this is what I think it should look like. This is what I see when snorkling. Low profile, no giant spaces between rocks, no huge pillars. Just gorgeous. But that's my opinion, and we all know what those are like.

StirCrayzy

This is an excellent thread to keep alive, im currently building my rockwork for my upgrade, Its based off of the original post from way back.

DSC04982.jpg

Basile

Hey guys i'm back after i don't remember ever how long. Its great to see everybody at work on the site it has grown its beautifull great job everyone. When i joined it had been open just a few years i think and it was just starting to catch up to the bigger site. My good friend Big Al greeted me earlier. When i first tried to log on my name was jammed so i reregistered as Mudbeaver, he's out there, starting in the new arrival. Which is not far from the truth. After so long i feel like a newby. The tech has sure evolved, when i left LED was just arriving and LSD was also leaving. Actually in that time period the father of LDS died in England last year; you could say , he went on his last trip,lol Ok so i'll be intouch with my new project as soon as the cash as been released and the desings are ready until then cheers!!!

Basile

Here are a couple pictures of my tank i have a mix tank of Tonga, Base Rock, Live Rock, and Fiji. All of my rock is stacked for the tunnel effect for fishys to swim.

202_2406.jpg

202_2400.jpg

Your tank is cool! Its never good to go for the perfect tank, because their's no suck thing. Whats important is to learn by doing things your way and to think differently from others, using different form, materials(safe materials) colors etc and go with your imagination. And above all don't go too fast, because building it is the most fun you'll have . You'll se what i mean after your first few tanks. I love the doughnut shaped rock cool.

AC273

Figured I would share what I came up with after a few re-arrangements. I always liked the islands of rock look, and my tank is 24" tall so wanted to accentuate the height of it while providing a lot of open space for my tangs to swim. The water is a bit cloudy because my tangs pet Damsel decided to dig a cave in the corner about the same time I wanted pics.

DSCN1341.jpg

I used a couple of dead base rocks from the LFS to build on and then used 100% lace rock after that. 30% of the lace rock was cultured in my 29G FOWLR setup for a month before being assembled and put into my new reef tank. My 29 used 100% live Fiji rock, but after working with the lace rock I don't think I would go back to live rock. It was so nice to be able to work with the rock dry (minus the cultured stuff) and then add it to the tank after assembling it. Plus the lace rock has a unique volcanic look to it that I like.

Basile

Figured I would share what I came up with after a few re-arrangements. I always liked the islands of rock look, and my tank is 24" tall so wanted to accentuate the height of it while providing a lot of open space for my tangs to swim. The water is a bit cloudy because my tangs pet Damsel decided to dig a cave in the corner about the same time I wanted pics.

DSCN1341.jpg

I used a couple of dead base rocks from the LFS to build on and then used 100% lace rock after that. 30% of the lace rock was cultured in my 29G FOWLR setup for a month before being assembled and put into my new reef tank. My 29 used 100% live Fiji rock, but after working with the lace rock I don't think I would go back to live rock. It was so nice to be able to work with the rock dry (minus the cultured stuff) and then add it to the tank after assembling it. Plus the lace rock has a unique volcanic look to it that I like.

Very nice work here we can actually see the bed on the other side, minimum equipment also, what size tank? The Rockwock work is very reminiscent of 3 fingers Grand-Canyon with a touch of Hawaiian Volcanic flair , exquisit.... love it. Thanks to adding it in are collection of good works. I like the fact that people are still posting their creation here after so long its cool.

AC273

Thanks! :) It is a 60g. I knew I wanted a 48" tank with lots of depth, but wasn't convinced the floor could hold more than a 60G in weight. It is a spanning floor in that area with no opportunity to add supports from below.

jkef2010

Okay I been looking at some of you guys rock work and its gorgeous something I been trying to do. I have like 25-30 lbs of LR Can anyone suggest any ideas I can do with this mess, haha

Basile

Okay I been looking at some of you guys rock work and its gorgeous something I been trying to do. I have like 25-30 lbs of LR Can anyone suggest any ideas I can do with this mess, haha

Ok first never put yourself down lack of ideas we all have them at some point.The fact that you have no fish is also a plus. First take towel roughfly the size of your tank floor, put your rock on them and play with them. it easyer like that, you dont disturb the sand of your tank and you can see from all angle. I saw some pretty interesting edgy stones on the left that could stand up like a tower. Think two islands in your set up a small tall one in front, a large long one along the back. You have a large pink one that could stand up againgts the flat back surface surrounded by other. and continu like that. Look into the thread for hints too, lots of great suggestion inthere. Good luck

AC273

I agree. The larger one on the left would make an interesting piece if it was stood up the tall way. Since your rock is already in the tank, you might have to go with epoxy and coral super glue. The epoxy will form to the rock shape and the super glue will get penetration in the rock to hold it in place. Just take your time and be patient.

superfrog

Just thought id add my newly created scape to the mix. Sorry didnt really have a concept drawing but I did spend about 4 hours figuring it out. Luckily I used mainly base (dead) rock and a few small pieces of live which i actually didnt mind if they dried a bit cos I needed to trigger a cycle.
Oh and excuse the thermometer in the front. Struggling with temps and its just easier to monitor in the front at the moment.

Enjoy
IMG_20130701_100609.jpg