rocks?

Sorry for so many threads but will any rock work in my reef tank. Its a 65 gallon tank and I have 5 pounds of live rock and plan to get more and around 20 pounds of base rock. I was looking at the base rock and noticed how much it looks like a lot of rocks we have laying around. My mom collects rocks so we have a whole bunch of them from all over. But my question is could I just go down to the river and pick some rocks out of there for my tank. I dont want to buy all live rocks because eventually base rocks would become live rocks. My main concern is that there might be somthing in the rock because my LFS has base rock that is secreteing dangerous things. I live close to a lot of different rivers and I think it would be cool to go out there and pick the shapes of rocks I want for my tank. If I boil them I think they would be ok but im new to this and im not really sure. Also I heard if you pour vineger on it and it fizzles then dont use the rock.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No don't use LOCAL rock! There is no telling what was around/on the rock and it's not good as LIVE ROCK! You want QUALITY rock that's porous FROM the OCEAN FOR the OCEAN! Anything else is a HUGe risk and waste of time and money.

:)

chipmunkofdoom2

Won't work.

Live rock is broken old coral reef, meaning that it's different from regular rocks because it's an old coral skeleton. Live rock is very porous and made of a specific limestone material that corals make their skeletons out of.

Also, rocks from the locale may have things like copper in them that will leech into your tank.. bad news.

You have the right idea to cut costs, buying base rock. You can find dry rock on Ebay, or you can make aragocrete if you like projects (google to find recipe variations and curing instruction), or you can try sites like this that specialize in dry rock.

Secreting dangerous things?? Such as??

BTW, if you have a freshwater tank using rocks by the river is ok if you know what rocks are good to use. My girlfriend has used granite in her cichlid tank and has not had a problem. Live rock is porous and full of bio diversity and should be only purchased from a reputable dealer... Saltwater is an entirely different matter and creatures from the sea need their natural environment recreated in order to have a long stable life... Like I mentioned in another post. Reefkeeping is an expensive hobby to start. Take your time and buy good live rock so that when you do add animals they will thrive and reward you with their beauty...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Secreting dangerous things?? Such as??

Like :Heavy Metals, Insecticides, Petroleum by-products (oil, gas etc) and anything else that the rock could have come in contact with. Who knows what could have been poured on the rock or the ground directly above it 20 years ago... not worth the risk.

What I did with my last set-up was buy about 90% Base rock and then waited around and purchased some very nice and high quality LIVE ROCK to "Seed" the system.

Nigma

yeah, i am with al on this one, u just don't know what kind of stuff that might leach out in to your water... i thought about it too, every time i go the ocean, i c some really cool rocks... but man i have no idea what things are in or on it. its just too much to gamble. and i think in most beaches it is illegal. lol

to big AL:
so the base rock you used, were they cured before you put them in the tank?
did you cycle the tank with base rock and live rock together?