Robert's 20GL Reef Tank

710Reefer

Hello everyone, just thought I would start a new tank thread and post pictures of what I'm doing and anything new I purchase, as well as ask question and comments about the tank and anything I should or shouldn't be doing.

Tank has been running for 4 weeks now, only some zoas, mushrooma & polyps in it right now along with a small CUC. Everything has been running smoothly so I decided to order my first fish. I went with a Bluespot Jawfish because of its beautiful colors and great personality.
Ive seen one in my LFS display tank and it is always greeting me when I enter.

Is there any other fish I can add in a few weeks that won't bother of mess with my BSJF? I love clownfish and want a pair if I can keep them in it. If not I'm leaving this guy in the tank alone.. Would just want some company for the little guy...

Pics of my tank below-

Deep cave, goes in about 4", shallow sand towards bottom. Hope my BSJF make this his new home

Last edited:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi there. Nice little setup you have. Although I'm not sure if it is the best setup for a bluespot, they need deep sand, like 5" or so and they will make their home in it.

I could be wrong but it might be worth looking into. They are beautiful fish but need good care.

GL!

710Reefer

Hi there. Nice little setup you have. Although I'm not sure if it is the best setup for a bluespot, they need deep sand, like 5" or so and they will make their home in it.

I could be wrong but it might be worth looking into. They are beautiful fish but need good care.

GL!

Thank you, from what I've read online and from asking my LFS + other people on YouTube who have also kept BSJF for long periods of time tell me they need 3"+ with lots of rubble to work with. I have about 3" towards the front of my tank and 2" in the back.
From what I hear, they are going to pick the spot and start to gather up sand to their liking. I made a few deep caves to help him with picking a place to live. I could add a inch or 2 if he needs more sand in the future but I hope he does good with this.
People also say they need 8" deep sand beds to survive but the people I've asked tell me thats not usually needed.
They are beautiful fish and the price tag agrees, but ill do whatever I need to, to keep him happy...

710Reefer

Hey everyone, my BSJF came in today. Everything went smooth and he arrived in good health. Was already super active in the bag, no jet lag lol.

Sorry about the box pictures, I wanted to keep the room dim to not cause him any more stress..

After acclimation, i netted him and placed him inside the tank. He started going to work as soon as he hit the sand.

He started building his burrow in the exact spot I was hopping he would. I like to think I gave him a head start with my reefscape. I added a bunch of rubble that i got from my LFS today.

He should have a fun time building it. I have more rubble was placed not too long ago, buying more if he needs it.
I already love the little guy, super cool fish and he is not afraid of me whats so ever.. Glad I got a cool BSJF, fed him some mysis shrimp and he accept it. Im gonna try and feed him some pellets of flakes tomorrow to see if he is picky about anything.

Thanks for stopping by everyone.. Comment and let me know what you think :wave:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Subscribed!

Keep the temp low for the BSJ since they like it cool. The 20 long is shallow for this species but you can always upgrade to a deeper tank later.

Cover your tank!! They will jump!

710Reefer

Great start ! Very pretty !
Thanks! It looks like he lost some color from the shipping, but he should be back soon. Super active and fun to watch.

Subscribed!

Keep the temp low for the BSJ since they like it cool. The 20 long is shallow for this species but you can always upgrade to a deeper tank later.

Cover your tank!! They will jump!

I have him at 75 right now, might place a clamp on fan for added cooling if needed.
I hope he does good for a good while. He is still small but if I see he is not doing good, or in need of a deeper tank, I will certainly go with the 30 or 40gB.

Yeah I made sure to get a screen built for him. The clear netting just came in today from BRS and added it to my frame.
I made 2 small screens for the ends of my HOB filter too. He should be ok now..

Luukosian

Cool that he decided to set up shop in a place you wanted him to. With my luck things like that always go the other way and he'd park in the back where you can't see. Will tag along to see the progress. On a side note, how does the mesh look from regular viewing height? Thought about adding it to mine so I can keep the more jump prone species(wrasses etc.) but wasn't sure how much it would take away from the open top look.

710Reefer

Cool that he decided to set up shop in a place you wanted him to. With my luck things like that always go the other way and he'd park in the back where you can't see. Will tag along to see the progress. On a side note, how does the mesh look from regular viewing height? Thought about adding it to mine so I can keep the more jump prone species(wrasses etc.) but wasn't sure how much it would take away from the open top look.

Yes, I was very fortunate to have him do that. He already made 3 burrows extending from the main cave lol. He is quick.

In my opinion it doesn't take from it all that much. My stand is kinda low so I get the open top view when standing. I took a picture showing what my eyes view is of the tank. sorry I'm short, 5'7.. I took the canopy I made off to get a better look of the clear screen..

710Reefer

I had a big scare yesterday.
My cousin came over to visit, brought over his 1year old baby. She is cute but a little devil when it comes to pets and other animals, so curious.

I put this sheet in front of my tank to block some of the lights during the night (This family is always awake past 11) and during my time is the garage I heard a pound BANG... I rush inside to find a called baby with a hand full of sheets, and a Blue Dot Jawfish swimming for his life. He was trying to jump out and didn't settle down for a good 2 min. I quickly turned off my moon lights to help him calm down.
Must have been so stressful after that shipping from 2days ago.

I was mad at the fact he started to burrow again in a different location. After all that building he has to start all over and I have to buy all that rubble again. Started hoping he would eventually find his way back to his burrow, but he had yet to explore the tank. I feared he wasn't going to start looking or give me enough time to net him.

This morning I woke up and turned on the lights to find him in the right corner of the tank. He tried to clear some sand but had hit the glass, I quickly grabbed my long net and gently pressed it against the glass. I then slid the net across the tank still pushed up again the glass and released him when I got close to his burrow.

All is now back to normal. I fed the little guy and gave him more rubble, he has since built and longer tunnel and is starting to act brave. I will keep on monitoring him just to make sure he is good. He's going to get extra food today..

710Reefer

glad the little dude is doing ok! very cool

Thanks, im glad he is doing great. I seen him swimming around the tank yesterday. Swimming free amd exploring the tank, great sign he's getting comfortable. I wanted to add a pair of clowns but this guy might have the tank to himself. I do have a credit from liveaquaria that I need to use though.

710Reefer

Jawfish somehow jumped out of my tank. Found the only opening in front of my HOB filter, guess she flapped over the front and onto my tank stand... RIP little guy!!! I think i need a pair of clowns now....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So very sorry to hear you lost your beautiful spot ! :( bsjf sure are jumpers... as sad as this is... maybe it will save someone else spot from jumping - thanks for sharing...

Can you close all possible opening ??? then ... get another spot?

if not.. love clowns - nemo was an ocellaris clownfish ;) my favorite clowns - I have a mated pair & they are so very nice

710Reefer

So very sorry to hear you lost your beautiful spot ! :( bsjf sure are jumpers... as sad as this is... maybe it will save someone else spot from jumping - thanks for sharing...

Can you close all possible opening ??? then ... get another spot?

if not.. love clowns - nemo was an ocellaris clownfish ;) my favorite clowns - I have a mated pair & they are so very nice

Yes, I am sad to see the little guy go. I hope people who are looking to get a bsjf read this thread and see my experiences. My screens did the job when he got spooked and jumped. I don't think they had an effect on him when he was searching for a place to jump. Im going to try and close up all the openings and go from there. My LFS has a nice pair of ocellaris, if they give me a good deal I'm going to pick them up today. Would they do good in my 20gL tank? I don't have a anemone yet, but I can buy one in a day or 2 from another store about 30 miles from my home.

710Reefer

Thank you for the link. I found a pair on Divers Den for a good price so I ordered them. I have a credit from my bsjf so I went ahead and swooped them up.

Can you suggest anything else for my clowns to host? Not sure they need a nem to be happy but i would like to add something for them. Maybe hammer or plate coral? Lol not sure at this point..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome ! Look forward to seeing your new clowns ! If you decide you want me to change this threads name, just let me know to what & I can make that happen :dance:

They don't need a host to be happy & may pick any of many corals - my candycanes host mine

No hurry on picking one... I have seen many corals hosting clowns