RO water

Steve1310

Hi iam new to the hobby and iam trying to find out what the tds level should be for RO water for a reef tank as all the shops near me are saying different things. Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:ro RS

start a tank thread and share your tank with us, we love pics !

Ideally you would like zero... from your bought lfs rodi

here one good read http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/water_purification.asp

small extract...
A TDS reading above zero will lead to algae and coral problems in your tank because any level of impurities such as phosphate and nitrate will serve as food for algae and some impurities will adversely affect coral health and coloration

another good read...
A Simple RO/DI hookup anyone can do...

Steve1310

Thanks that what I thought and read on line but when I tested shop water it was between 200 to 300 which is why I thought I would ask on here.
I will have a look at tank thread thanks.

Steve1310

:rbwwelc:ro RS

start a tank thread and share your tank with us, we love pics !

Ideally you would like zero... from your bought lfs rodi

here one good read http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/water_purification.asp

small extract...
A TDS reading above zero will lead to algae and coral problems in your tank because any level of impurities such as phosphate and nitrate will serve as food for algae and some impurities will adversely affect coral health and coloration

another good read...
A Simple RO/DI hookup anyone can do...
Hi thanks for the response can you tell me how to do a tanked thread please

Pat24601

Thanks that what I thought and read on line but when I tested shop water it was between 200 to 300 which is why I thought I would ask on here.
I will have a look at tank thread thanks.

I want to be clear the TDS reading for RO water should be 0, but that's obviously before you mix salt in. Salt is going to push the TDS high.

DaveK

RO/DI water should be 0. If it's just RO water you may see a low TDS, maybe 4 or 5 depending on the water that goes into the RO unit. The RO unit by itself can't remove 100% of the TDS material, so you usually use a DI unit after it to remove material the RO unit can't remove.

Your LFS that is selling water with a TDS of 200 to 300 is committing a fraud upon it's customers. Regretfully, this isn't that uncommon, which is why having your own RO.DI unit is highly recommended.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I change my RO/DI units filter once the meter reads 1.0. You don't want anything in the water that you didn't specifically put in there. That just rules out variables for problems later on.

-Jeff

Pat24601

RO/DI water should be 0. If it's just RO water you may see a low TDS, maybe 4 or 5 depending on the water that goes into the RO unit. The RO unit by itself can't remove 100% of the TDS material, so you usually use a DI unit after it to remove material the RO unit can't remove.

Your LFS that is selling water with a TDS of 200 to 300 is committing a fraud upon it's customers. Regretfully, this isn't that uncommon, which is why having your own RO.DI unit is highly recommended.

Good point. I meant RO/DI show be 0.

I never do just RO