RO units...

This has probably been asked a hundred times but I just can't decide! :(

I am looking for a decent quality RO unit with a reasonable price. (Not too much over 100)

At my LFS I can get a Coralife type RO for around 60 bucks with a discount and store credit. I read they sort of suck hard core so now I'm back to square one.

Opinions?

faust

i hate to say it but 100 just aint gonna cut it imo 150 is doable at air water ice. i hit air water ice when they had a sale and got a typhoon 3 and a dual di add for 300.00. yes there are cheaper options but they quickly pay for themselves. trying to save money buying used is a crapshoot as most of the time they need new filters and membrane. there are lower end options but once you have a auto shut and all the bells and whistles off you get spoiled
IMG_2425.jpg

I realize paying the cheapest isn't usually the bestest (heh I made a funny word) I just don't want top of the line or bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. Would it be effective to buy the parts separately and then make a DIY unit?

faust

What's the need for the DI set up?
WHEN STAGE ONE EXHAUSTS ADD NEW REPLACEMENT CARTRIDGE TO STAGE TWO AND MOVE STAGE TWO CARTRIDGE TO FIRST HOUSING. THE RESIN IN STAGE TWO ACTS AS A BACKUP UNTIL STAGE ONE IS EXHAUSTED.

faust

I realize paying the cheapest isn't usually the bestest (heh I made a funny word) I just don't want top of the line or bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes. Would it be effective to buy the parts separately and then make a DIY unit?
i tried to go this route when the 200 gpd sea chem pinnicle ro unit that we have at my wifes office membrane went bad. the sea chem membranes were 119.00 each and i needed 2 of them plus there housings are different so i couldn't use a cheaper membrane. i saved money changing to the filmtec membrane and their housings along with a new flo restrictor and now make 300 gpd. however i do not think you could piece meal one for less than buying a complete unit

Alright I checked around, a lot of good sites out there. I checked bulk reef supply and I can "build my own" RO unit for about 86 bucks. I think I may go that route.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't think the 150gpd unit would be a good unit for you, they say it's not good for the filters to only make a few gallons here and there, I think a 50gpd or 75gpd will be more than adequate for your needs.

I don't really see any real problems with the corallife other than needing a DI but you can look to air water ice for there smaller units run about $150.00 for $60.00 I don't think you can go wrong.

Yea, I will only probably need 10-20g at a time and it'll only be twice a month or maybe a little more, depends how it works out as far as nutrients are concerned.