RO/DI system for low pressure

Alisa1965

I have a 54 gallon corner aquarium. I have been tossing around the idea of an RO system. (Sick and tired of lugging around water from stores). I just checked my pressure (well water) coming from the faucets. It is not quite 30 on the gauge. I know I should get a booster (I assume), just not sure if it would be worth it in the end. Thinking of going to Gorden water store for the RO water and making my own saltwater at least. That will save me a bit, there. Any ideas on this? Or is 30 an ok pressure to run the system?

DaddyTLi

I just purchased an booster pump from BRS at 15% off. I live in the city, I've been getting 40 psi and I would like to boost the outflow with less water waste. From the video by Ryan at BRS, I decided to get the booster pump. In the long run, I will take more advantage of my RO/DI. You can also use your RO system for drinking water, Get a reserve tank and you will be making more water than you think. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-aquatec-8800-booster-pump-kit-1.html.

From the BRS video, the pressure should be 40 or higher; 30 is low. How may GPD is your RO rating?

Hope this helps

Tom

DaveK

You can try using the RO/DI unit at 30 PSI and see how it works for you. You can always add the booster pump later.

Usually what will happen is tha lower pressure water will cause the RO/DI unit to produce less good water per day, for example if you are using a 100 gpd unit, you might only get 30 gpd out of it. You will also get more waste water compared to to the amount of good water you get.

If you add a booster pump, you'll get more RO/DI water out, but it costs money to run the pump.

I'm not a big fan of purchasing RO water because it's often not the quality you get out of your own unit. Also, long term it will cost you a lot more money, and you'll have to lug the water.

Festerx

My pressure is 30psi most days, and it's outside so the temp is lower than the optimal 20'C. My 75 unit makes about 25 litres in 8 hours. I just set it running overnight before I need it and I have a good 50 litres ready for salting. You just need to plan ahead a little more. I wouldn't bother with a booster pump personally, just add a little patience.

Initially I had never thought of making my own water, but after 3 trips to the Lfs for overpriced tds loaded water I soon realised it was the only sensible option. I have never looked back since.

I wouldn't recommend drinking too much RO water as I understand it is not so good for you. It tastes nice, but only the odd glass full.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Oxylebius

I have been using my rodi at about 30psi for ~ 3 yrs. I get good water out of it but end up having to change out the filter much sooner then if I had a higher pressure. I also get a lot of water waste so I collect it and use it to water the garden. That way I'm not wasting water or wasting $$ from my pocket on water going down the drain.