RO/DI Reservoir!!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I made GREAT progress on the garage yesterday :dance: and I bought a GEN X Mak 4 Pump that will move the salt water from drum #2 into my tank. I'm not sure how I will control the on/off of the pump since I will be 30' away......

I will probably use a submersible pump to move the ro/di water from Drum#1 into Drum#2....

Feel free to offer up ideas!! :)

mps9506

I woulda cleaned the garage if I knew I would get a pump outta it! :D

Does the drum have a flat spot on the side to put a bulkhead in? The plastic tubs we used to use at the store (purchased from the tractor supply near Greenville) had bulkheads near the bottom that we attached pumps to after elevating the containers on a shelf above everything. We would turn a valve then flip a switch to fill everything up. Of course our container held 280 gallons...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I don't think there is a 'flat spot' for a bulkhead. Does that mean I won't be able to install one at the bottom??

Woodstock

RS STAFF
All, we have a plant here that packages peppers and they come to them in 60 gallon barrels. You can usually pick them up cheap (like 5 bucks a piece). Also here is a thread where people plumbed their barrels.

Reef Central Online Community - 60G Barrels - cheap
Reef Central Online Community - Plumbed Barrels...

This is GREAT!

mflamb said:
Plumbed Barrels...
I built a rack for the barrels for my RO/DI water and fresh mixed salt water. Then I installed two 1 inch bulkheads in each barrel, and plumbed both into and out of 1 pump. I'll install the RO/DI unit tomorrow above the water heater, and tap into the cold water line.
Here's the system drawing from ReefArtist:
132223Step3CompleteBarrelConnection.jpg

And here's the barrels and plumbing:
DSC00192-1.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

I need one more ball valve for the drain into the bottom barrel:
DSC00195.jpg

blue_eyes53813

Doni. Those containers are gonna be great.. I have the same things. One problem I run into is the saltwater container gets very dirty and needs to be rinsed about once a month.. It gets that brown residue in it.. Just an idea or a suggestion to make sure it can easily be cleaned... I use my gravel vac and I hook it up to a sink and spray it down and pump the water back out. I also wish I would of made a big enough hole in the top to get a brush in there and scrub it down... I usually have to spray it down about three times before it is clean.. Something to think about..

Kirblit

I just finished my set up for a 50g and a 35g drum of the same type. I just made cradles out of wood to set them on their sides. The 50g drum will be used for RO only and I made the cradle about 20in higher than the 35g cradle so that I can gravity feed water to it. I just used ball valves, tubing, barbs and pvc to do the connections. The caps on top should be threaded inside for 3/4 fittings, thats what I used. As for the salt barrel I cut a hole in the top for 6"pvc and a cap so that I could add salt, heater, pump, clean, ect. I will also be using a pump for the salt barrel to get water upstairs for water changes, I'm using 1/2 ID tube for this and a pump. The water is pumped up and then I have a ball valve and a piece of tube for exit and then more tube for the way back down to barrel if valve is closed so that no stress is put on the pump when I shut the water off. I hope this helps Kirby

Woodstock

RS STAFF
LOL Victor :D

Krblit, thank you!

I'm getting a lot of great ideas.... thanks everyone!

KodiakBear

I bought a GEN X Mak 4 Pump that will move the salt water from drum #2 into my tank. I'm not sure how I will control the on/off of the pump since I will be 30' away......

Feel free to offer up ideas!! :)

Maybe do a wire run through your attic and connect the switch where you want to control the pump from? Would be tricky getting the wire down the wall, but if you have a fish tape it wouldn't be so bad.
Or have a cutoff valve on the tank side and a narrow diameter recirculation line from the pump back to the reservoir. This would diminish your flow to your tank a bit, but prevent the pump going to a dead head and cavitating really bad.

bluespotjawfish

I made GREAT progress on the garage yesterday

Glad I inspired you! This really looks like a fun project, but I think it would put my husband over the top. He already shakes his head at my 44 and 35 gallon brute containers. Oh, and on a side note... There have been many times when I was glad I could make both of them saltwater (not just one for RO/DI the other for salt).

jhnrb

I posted in the wrong thread. sorry bout that just delete the other post. You will need a hole cut in the top to allow you to get into the barrel. I will use an iwaki to circulate and valved to select the barrel i want. a drain to bleed off salt water before i switch to ro makeup. will be a sight tube installed twards the bottom so i know when my fresh saltwater is getting low. pumps in both barrels to pump water to the appropriate location. air pumped into each barrel 24/7 this will serve two purposes, put oxygen back into the water and keep it moving somewhat so it does not become stagnate due to lack of movement. float switches for automation. one barrel for makeup automated, and one barrel for fresh saltwater water changes. salt barrel will be heated, ro makeup not. Air by rigid air line tubing with a course air filter on end. course because you want to move the water. Ill be using the azoo air pump with internal batt backup. it has two outputs and an adjustible rate of air. Hope something here helps. finally again please delete my other post in the other thread where your tank information is at.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Any suggestions?

Here is a sketch of my reservoirs....

Reservoir.jpg

With a few turns of ball valves, the Mak4 pump will serve 4 purposes:
- move ro/di water into the 2nd drum
- circulate the saltwater
- move saltwater to main display