Right Skimmer for me?

Talon33

I am in the process of getting the 125 gallon FOWLR going. The tank is a 125 gallon with a 55 gallon sump that probably holds between 30-40 gallons. Keep in mind this tank is a FOWLR and the concentration being fish. So it will be heavily stocked (reasonably) with butterflyfish which are decent sized fish. When my tank was a reef I ran a reef octopus diablo rated for like 250 gallons and my tank couldn't keep enough organics in the water column it seemed. It did an excellent job. The only thing was it was a bit noisy. I need a skimmer that is very quit and does an excellent job. In sump skimmer too. Fire away guys!

pablomay28

I have a smaller tank than you running a reef octopus and I am happy, however I saw a good deal on a vertex and jumped on it. Like I have told others do some research on youtube and see the skimmer you are thinking about buying in action. I also read reviews on BRS and Marine Depot. That being said the EM 200 that Snelly40 is talking about is nice. I have seen videos on it and it has awesome reviews.

Snelly40

@pablomay28 makes a good call, youtube is grat for reviews and you can see them working. Vertex skimmers use the same pump, i'm not as familiar with their overall skimmers but they are very similiar to the aquamaxx. both german and super high quality. I do have a Vertex Zeovit reactor and man it's amazing, phenomenal quality

Talon33

pablomay28

Hey guys been a couple of months but I think I am ready to start getting some things for the tank. That aquamaxx looks awesome but what do you guys think of this skimmer for a $100 cheaper http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-150int-6-internal-protein-skimmer.html
I had a reef octopus diablo when my tank was a reef and it did an awesome job. I just want something that is dependable, works well, and is pretty quiet.

You are looking at a total volume of 180 gallons. The skimmer you are considering is rated for 150 gallons and recommended for 120 gallons. If you want to stick with Reef Octopus the Super Reef Octopus 2000 would be a better choice its rated at 200 gallons and BRS recommends it for 180 gallons where your tank will be. If you want to go with the 1+method you can go with the SRO 3000. I would still go with Aquamaxx or Vertex over Reef Octopus. Chinese vs. Italian made pump.

carmexx

I can tell you from experience, the vertex omega 150 is a beast. I used it on my 57 rimless and the sludge was thick and pungent. It was run on the wet side. I couldn't fine tune it to skim dry. But I sold it for a Reef Octopus SRO1000int which has the bubble blaster pump which i think is preferred. It doesn't come close to the Vertex in my opinion. I wish I never sold it.

Talon33

Alright well I understand investing in a quality skimmer and am willing to do it but still want to save money where I can. What is better aquamaxx ecomaxx 200 or vertex omega 150? Aquamaxx being about $60 cheaper.

pablomay28

Your choice. They both use sicce pumps if you want to save $60 go aquamaxx you wont regret it.

Last edited:

Talon33

So I found a reef octopus skimmer like the one I posted in the link but with the bubble blaster hy 2000 for $200. Will this skimmer set up work just fine on my tank because for 200 (possibly lower) it is still pretty tempting lol

Talon33

Basically I can get that skimmer and an MP40w ES for less than I can buy a new aquamaxx skimmer but if that skimmer is really worth it compared to that deal I will get it.

Talon33

Anyone have any experience the the RO skimmer with the bubble blaster pump? Apparently upgrades to handle 180 or so gallons. Gotta make a move on this if a good deal. RO classic 6 inch and mp40w ES for $300. Or just get the new aquamaxx EM200 for $340.

Talon33

Really need some quick help on a skimmer selection as I need to get one so I can get this tank build on the road. Here is my 3 options
Option 1: Aquamaxx Ecomaxx 200 buying new @ $340
Option 2: Bubble Magus Curve 7 buying new @ $300
Option 3: SRO 2000 buying used @ 200