Ricordea 10g tank?

NjRiCaN

I want your guys info on a project im thinking about starting. I have an old 10g tank that i took apart once i started my nano cube. its just sitting in my closet wit a 40w Current CF light fixture with a 50/50 bulb. i was thinking if a set this up with my rena smartfilter and some live rock for mushrooms and ricordea will it do well? should i do a hang on refugium or its not necessary? thinking about doing 12-15lbs of live rock. i will appreciate the info. thanks!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got a 10g tank with rics and other mushrooms in it. I would NOT use the RENA filter (or any other canister filter). I WOULD do a HOB fuge and I would use the Live Rock. The light may be "iffy" but it's worth a try.

NjRiCaN

so what kind of light would you recommend? its 4 watts per gallon. i thought it would be good for mushrooms and ricordeas. you think i should do T5's or a halide?

I heard from a fellow reefer in Texas that depending on what you want your rics to look like you can use brighter or darker lights. in my nano tank i have mine on the bottom where its growing huge. But i don't know if this is true. Mine seem to do great on the bottom like blocked by a rock to.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Toss the "Watts per Gallon" rule out the window. You can't go by that period.

Some rics favor VERY high light and some like less light even partially shaded areas. I've got an orange/blue ric literally growing and THRIVING under a rock in very little light.

NjRiCaN

ok cool thank for the advice. how about skimming? if i use a hang on refugium would i need a skimmer?

razorvines

Yeah I have a mushroom, Xenia, and Ricordia in a 10 with live rock, a HOB filter, PC light and they are all loving life. In fact so does the coraline. I have to scrape the glass constantly to be able to see everything.