Ricks Fluval M40 Chronicle

Rick76

Hi Nanoreefing4fun, thanks for the advice. In that case at my next WC this little sucker will hopefully be gone! :)

Rick76

Well... After ridding myself of some Red Bubble Algae I invested in some coral. It has been in the tank for almost 2 weeks now and seems to be doing really well, with some of the smaller polyps growing! I'm very pleased.
All my water parameters are doing very well and fish seem to be happy. In a month or so I would like to add a bit more colour to the tank. Any suggestions?
Also as an adjunct I have a few of these little tentacle things growing out of the sand.... What are they and should I be worried ( there are four or five of them dotted around the tank ).
I've added a picture + a general one of my current pride and joy lol.

715d9824c309831433a85c49f262c21f.jpg
3f9ca47cba6d4a55f4b12c8de9fa7b88.jpg

Rick76

Thanks for the kind reply.... I'll put the picture on the HH forum and see what pops up. Cheers for the link :)

Oxylebius

I like the tailspot blenny, if you add a little tube or large snail shell that blenny will make itself at home in it. They love to gaze at the world from inside something. Here's mine in a large empty turbo snail shell.

Well... After ridding myself of some Red Bubble Algae I invested in some coral. It has been in the tank for almost 2 weeks now and seems to be doing really well, with some of the smaller polyps growing! I'm very pleased.
All my water parameters are doing very well and fish seem to be happy. In a month or so I would like to add a bit more colour to the tank. Any suggestions?
Also as an adjunct I have a few of these little tentacle things growing out of the sand.... What are they and should I be worried ( there are four or five of them dotted around the tank ).
I've added a picture + a general one of my current pride and joy lol.

715d9824c309831433a85c49f262c21f.jpg
3f9ca47cba6d4a55f4b12c8de9fa7b88.jpg
That looks like a spaghetti worm to me. They are good from what I understand.

Rick76

Hi Oxylebius, I had a little change around in the tank & my Bleeny also has a tidy little hiding place. Difficulty is ... Each time I try and take a picture of him in there he comes out lol.... Therefore picture to follow :)

As an adjunct.... I got my first soft coral 4 days ago. Day 1 & 2 everything was looking good all water parameters still perfect, however yesterday several parts started to droop. Over the coming 24 hrs half seems to be ok, but the other half is still down. Is this normal when introducing them to a new tank? Also ... Can anyone name the softy? Lol

77315756bbce59c485d1d5d6bd918499.jpg
28560893053607aa69ba5b5627b2beae.jpg
134eb3f0fa75f9c64d3e34ff448416b3.jpg

Oxylebius

Not sure on the softy ID, others hopefully will post.

I would like to see pics of the blenny in his hole!

Oxylebius

You can't force a clown to do anything. If it chooses a host that isn't the anemone, then there isn't much you can do about it. BUT - you can remove the coral that the fish likes and hope that the fish will then choose the anemone.

You might get some advice on the internet talking about ways of forcing a clownfish to host an anemone, I would not advise forcing the clown as the anemone can and will sting the clown until the time the clown builds up the amount of chemicals that allows the fish to not be stung by the anemone.

This is a good article to read about the various ways clowns can live with anemones that otherwise would sting and kill other fish - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/fish2 It also discusses the various research being done to help determine how and why the clownfish can live with anemones and don't get stung. BUT, anemones will sting new clownfish until the time the clown can build up chemicals in its mucus that allows the anemone to not fire their nematocyst.

Here is a good thread to read: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...fish-hosting-with-anemone.93315/#post-1278588

Rick76

Does anyone know why anemones go from having short fat ( bubble like tentacles ) to long at thin. Here is my nem with photos 3 months apart...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441453115.641124.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1441453138.055277.jpg

Ive had a few RBTA's and as far as i can tell there are so many variables with why they bubble or have long tentacles its almost impossible to determine what it is. Some say if they dont get enough light the tentacles are long and 'reaching for more light' others say they bubble 'to provide more surface area for light' and so on and so forth. As of now ive kept them successfully in a Stock Biocube 29 as well as a stock RSM 130. Also had them in a 55 gallon with a 4 bulb t5 system. the only time ive had one bubble has been in the RSM. I know that doesnt help much but from what ive learned if they arent happy with the amount of food/light/flow/etc.. where they are the will move somewhere to be happy. I am by no means an expert with anything in this hobby but figured it couldnt hurt giving you my experience.

EDIT: The only other thing i can think of would be hosting. The only RBTA ive had that bubbled did not have any clownfish host in it. The rest all did and they all had long flowy tentacles. And got Very Large. Then split rapidly when routienely fed silversides and mysis.