rhetorical Q i gotta ask...

BEELZEBOB

rhetorical Q i gotta ask... SPS UNDER PCS

i have a small colony of SPS in my tank. i got it for free about 6 months ago.

i wont buy any SPS because i have PCs (96 watts over an 18 gallon)

but this lil guy got tossed in, and well, he is absolutly thriving. i mean he's doubled in size, the polyp extension is rediculas (its like a purple-green fuzz-ball), and the skeleton has grown and branched multiple times.

AND this is where it gets really cool. about a month ago i had a minor (what i figured) precipitation event in my tank.

checked every thing out, found no problems and it was gone in half a day. fast forward to last night

so im face first against the glass plume materials in hand, (really looking in depth here) when i notice that i have 3 or 4 teeny tiny SPS colonies that just sprung up. tiny, but deffinate hard structures with purplr-green colors and polyps.

so i dont think it was a precipitation at all, but a spawn?

this is all very suprising in that i never assumed the original colony would do well, let alone grow like it has and jizz lil babies everywhere.

SO after that Beelzebob rant, my true question arrises...

i saw a really cool SPS colony at my LFS for $35. its small, whitish body with purple polyps.

am i wrong to assume that it would be okay in my tank because of the other guys personal success?

or is this just the noob in me gettin over excited by sumthin neato?

Last edited:

vdituri

Noob. Definitely noob gettin excited. lol
You know you're gonna get hit up for a pic of what's currently in your tank right?:lol:

BEELZEBOB

bobstanks1sps.jpg
NEW3.jpg

these are both kinda old and crappy.
you can just make it out through the grainy mediocrity that is my cell phone camerea in the top leftish corner. this was this weekend.
redlobo.jpg

but when i got the thing, there was 3 strait lil 1/2" spikes. all 3 have now grown like an inch, and branched at least twice

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Yeah, give it a try! Give us some proof of the other, spectacular growth though, we want to see a PC Acro!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Cool! I thought it was an acro. I went back and you didn't say acro you said SPS. There are some SPS's that will survive under PC, especially the deeper water species.

BEELZEBOB

OKAY, so here is the colony. i have no idea what it is. it rules though.

right side of colony, our left
SPS.jpg

same side, better polyp extension
SPSEXSTENZ.jpg

front facing side
SPSFRONT.jpg

long distance left side of colony, our right
SPSLONGDISTANCE.jpg

see its doin good, right?

BEELZEBOB

oh yea, and anybody able to tell me what type of SPS that is based on the above pics?

ill give you karma

reefman420

well i just boughjt a colonie that looks pretty much the same.my lfs was selling it as a deep water galexia coral.Its crazy they look totaly the same

prow

too fuzzy to be sure but looks like a turban (turbinaria peltata). hardy and adaptive if thats what it is.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
It's probably a Pocillapora and it's not uncommon for them to spawn in aquariums. If you want some Acro's I would go with the deeper water one's that don't require intense lighting.

BEELZEBOB

i personally have no idea. i got it as a noob, and was like is that lps, and the guy was like i guess, its free.

soon as i got it home i realized it was no lps

ok youve all been BUNG'd.

now, do you think i am a freak for attempting to do what i hope you do all realize im about to do?

cioutlaw

It's probably a Pocillapora and it's not uncommon for them to spawn in aquariums. If you want some Acro's I would go with the deeper water one's that don't require intense lighting.

I agree with the Pocillapora ID. Very hardy SPS coral. Someone correct me if Im wrong but when a coral has very extended polyps it is not a sign of being healthy but reaching for food or light.