Review of Current Usa Powerbrite LED lights WITH a VIDEO! (also have questions)

santarem85

SO, i splurged and bought one of these in the 10000k for the biocubes. They are performing well and really do add the shimmer of metal halides. I didnt know whether or not the actinic version would spotlight blue in the tank, because the beams seem fairly tightly focused.

You can connect up to three linking modules to this. I just retrofitted it in to the lighting part of the hood by drilling a notch in the lip where the acrylic splash lens fits on to. I would like to install one directly in the access door to the tank - and need ideas on how to enclose it there to protect it from evap/condensation

I would like to add one or two more units in the hood in the future.

Does anyone have any experience with these? or what the amount of light 4 1 watt leds produce for light in comparison to a power compact bulb? The effect in brightness is that I added another power compact bulb to the tank.

All in all, these really enhanced the vibrancy and movement in the tank and get a BIG THUMBS UP!

Oh yeah. and heres a video so that you can see for yourself. The shimmering is slightly more vibrant and apparent in real life though.
:thumbup:

YouTube - Biocube 29 with powerbrites

colaebola

Hi!

I was looking up a review on this product and I saw your video on youtube. Nice job!

you did a nice job - I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with my BC29 as well. How many of those strips did you put in there? And what kind were they (the 50/50 etc.)?

Did you the strip in the acrylic cover with the pc's?

I must know more!!!!

santarem85

That was with one powerbrite. I used the 10000k only. After reading Bob fenners advice on how blue light is not used that much by coral i decided to go with the white. NOW there is 2 on the tank, much better effect! they fit right in the acrylic cover, and all i did was cut a small piece out of the outer lip so that the wire would squeeze right on in there and maintain a water tight seal.

It was just held in place at an angle with heavy duty double stick tape,

With one on the tank the shimmer was nice, but with two, it really fills the tank up. Also its adding a lot of light - the corals growth has really taken off since then.

Here is another link to the video with 2 powerbrites. and another link that has a tank lit just by these

Rich's 5G mini bow nano - Page 11 - The Reef Tank

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Nice video. I dont agree 100% on the actic thought corals do grow fast \er under Yellower lighting however they dont have the color as they do under 20K+ & they grow fast there too.

santarem85

arent they great? i figure the cost is justified, when you look at the led quality, and that they will have 70% light output after 50000 hours...these should last for a long time when used on a timer!

colaebola

I'm so sold! I plan on getting these lights (2 of them) next month. Do you suppose keeping the pc's as actinic only and purchasing two 10,000k would work?

Any chance you can send a pic of what the lights look like mounted in the acrylic casing? I would like to see that.

I just joined this website, so I'll post pics of my tank and the changing of the light set up.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have to agree with Jack on the color spectrum.
Nice work though! I look forward to seeing how this does long term.

santarem85

well you cant really compare watts of leds to watts of power compacts. each led strip uses 4 watts but is effecient at producing light so the output is quite high for the small size

fsu1dolfan

Hey great thread regarding powerbrites....i am interested in this option. Please post up some pics on how you mounted them!!! Also if you buy two or 3 of these how do they connect and do the run on the same power adapter or do you have to run them on separate adapator....i noticed when looking into buying these that you can buy one with a power adapator and one without but it has a connector??? Curious about how these work and could use some more explaination and pictures please!!!

BigJay

with only 4 watts of LED's does anyone have the equivalence in MH watts or PC watts or lumens or ? With the vid of showing just one strip going it didn't look that brite. Would you be better suited adding another PC and just putting a couple single LED's for shimmer?

RyanG

I love love love the actinic version of these! they come in 460nm(deep blue) and make the corals pop unlike anything I have seen. The only downfall that I have seen are the powercords, the main unit has got a 6 foot cord(way to short) and the add on units jumpers are only about 6 or 8 inches long. Other than having to do some electrical modifications these are a superb product!

doubleduece

T_kuemmet I have 2 10k strips on my 34g RSM. They are awesome, for those of us who dont have MH, they really add that elusive shimmer. I havent tried they actintics yet, but I have seen them illuminated and they are as blinding as the 10k

sh8wn9

008-1.jpg

Theres the powerbrites I attached to my T5 fixture on my biocube. They are great!!!