Returning to RS! 55 Gallon CUBE!!!! Many Pics *Updating*

cah73

Well, its been a while since my last update. I haven't made any new purchases(other than ATO), but have been having a nutrient and growth problem (currently looks like slime algae.). I started to attack this problem by buying some new filter socks and giving myself the opportunity to change them more frequently. I also purchased a variety of snails to help out. As you can see above, I have a custom refugium setup. I realized that there was not enough flow moving through the fuge and there was a large amount of detritus accumulating in there, so I just NOW took it out and cleaned it. (Needless to say, it was not properly setup. I only had liverock, chaeto, and some pods in there working with a "Shop light") I am running a skimmer (wet skim) and just recently changed all my RODI filters and switched to ProCoral salt. Salinity is about 33 at the moment.

Basically wanted to get some advice before I take on the refugium again. I have left it out for the moment, cleaned the liverock and its going in the sump tonight to keep it living. Should I Set it back up with a sand bed/live rock? Is the shop light doing the trick? Does the refugium actually need the extra flow? I do have some space behind my sump for other equipment if i toss the fuge.... any help is appreciated. Going to do a 25% water change today... and can post more detailed water parameters today. 20% Water changes are done weekly..