Return pump for LifeReef overflow

degibson84

im looking at buying a LifeReef over flow and was wondering if anyone uses this and what pump would you recommend running with it

degibson84

description from the website states

"You DO NOT have to match your pump to the flow rate. These prefilters are self-governing meaning it will remove water at the exact same rate as you are pumping it into the aquarium."

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I "believe" that means you don't have to match it to 600 gph.....as it will adjust downward to less flow but you cannot exceed it.

Are you looking for an internal or external pump? How much head presure do you have? I'm thinking a mag 9 might be in your ballpark but you'd have to look at the flow chart for head loss and make sure you're under 600gph actual.

degibson84

not sure on head pressure but i know im going to be pumping back just under 4 feet and i need an internal because im going to start my sump build to get rid of all my HOB equipment

degibson84

based on the chart on marine depot looks like at 4 ft of head i will need to go mag 7. That would get me around 480GPH where the 9.5 would have me at around 800GPH

kv2wr1

I had that overflow on my 40B and used a maxijet utility 3000 pump (about 775 gph). It was a little overkill for that tank, but would have been great on a 75g. I liked that pump because you could adjust the flow on the pump itself. You will not be disappointed with that overflow. Mine always started right back up after several power outages. No flooding what so ever.

reefer gladness

There are a couple head-pressure loss calculators out there that I suggest you use to confirm your head pressure loss, 4 feet sounds low. The horizontal travel, check valves, ball valves, gate valves and each bend plus the diameter of the pipe all contribute. Additional plumbing through a chiller or UV sterilizer further decreases head pressure.

That said, I've used a Lifereef overflow on my 130D it works as advertised. However, there's no reason you need to use an internal return pump. That's entirely up to you but I will point out that an internal pump puts the heat from the pump right back in the water which is why I went with an external pump on my second tank.

There's also no risk in using a larger pump because you can restrict the water flow with a valve. I use Eheim pumps exclusively and have been very happy with them, the Compact and Compact+ lines have adjusters for the flow right on the pump and can be used internally or externally.

jerry26

im with reefer, im going external with my next pump. but if you didnt have a restrictor on it you could put a T on the return piping and have some pressure release right back into your sump. i just divide the gph by the max head to get a rough idea what loss per foot(straight up) ill have but realisticly after bends and what not that would be innaccurate to the actual flow.

degibson84

I had that overflow on my 40B and used a maxijet utility 3000 pump (about 775 gph). It was a little overkill for that tank, but would have been great on a 75g. I liked that pump because you could adjust the flow on the pump itself. You will not be disappointed with that overflow. Mine always started right back up after several power outages. No flooding what so ever.
I have never had a power outage yet. We are on the same grid as the police station and from what i have heard from neighbors that in the 30 years they have lived here they only experienced an outage once so i dont think i have to worry about that.

since you have used this overflow before can you tell me how loud it was and is the silencer needed?

reefer gladness

You'll want to get the silencer. The noise from standard and HOB overflows like the LifeReef comes from air being sucked down the pipe going to the sump. The silencer basically sticks an airhose down the same pipe and you have to find the 'sweet spot' for the airhose for it to push the air back up the airhose instead of continue down the path into the sump. It helps a good bit but it's not completely silent.

If you want a completely silent overflow you need a drilled tank that allows you to setup either the herbie style or bean-animal style (best to google this to see how it works). Both work on the same principal of having a continuous siphon which doesn't allow air in the pipe to make noise.