Retro kit for hqi canopy?

NjRiCaN

i have a 28g nano cube with the HQI canopy(150w) w/ 4 led moonlights. i went on this website Nanocustoms.com - nanocustoms where they have a retro-fit kit for my canopy. it adds 2 actinic or 2 50/50 power compacts to my canopy for a total of 186w with the metal halide. was wondering what you guys opinion is on it. should i do it or not? the kit is $70 but i need to install it myself.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm a HUGE fan of adding more lights and most of the NanoTuners/NanoCustoms kits are fairly straight forward to install.

I say Go 4 IT :)

On the HQI nano I dont see the need. You already have plenty of light, you really dont NEED more. If you want more out of the 150 watt hqi put in a Phoenix 14k bulb. They are really bright blue and have outstanding par. It will blow away that Current USA bulb. Another good choice is the XM 20k.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree that you don't "Need" more but I LOVE actinic supplementation to almost any MH light. That's why so many fixtures are "Combo" units to begin with.

Now to play on the OTHER side of the fence... I do agree that changing the bulb will make a WORLD of difference in the "Look" and growth of the tank. I've been using the AquMaxx 14k bulbs in my 90g and LOVE the crisp blue colors of that bulb. Well worth a try!!

zy112

For 70 bucks thats not bad at all. With my 28 nanocube, I took the path of taking the hood off and using a MH Fixture on legs to increase evaporation and run a fan between the lights and water.