Restart on my 30 long..

CGold4

Alright so I have a 30 gallon, 48'x12' tank.
Originally, I had a undergravel filter, two power heads, crushed coral, 20 pounds of live rock, 10 pounds of dry rock, 2 striped damsels, 1 anemone, 2 chromis, 1 blue damsel, 1 clownfish, and 2 turbo snails.
All of my levels were fine. Ammonia was high at first, but i got it down to 0 in a day or two.
My salinity was a steady 1.023.
The day after I added the clown, I did a 20 percent water change, roughly six gallons.
That day, all of my fish went into stress and eventually died.
Afterwards, my tank clouded up. I figured there was some chlorine in the water due to it being dechlorinated and me not using enough dechlorinater.
I know its not safe to use tapp, but i did anyway due to my lfs not carrying any ro/di water or units and financial issues.
A fellow friend of mine however told me that it couldnt have been a chlorine issue. That something else must have been the problem. Such as the clown fish being introduced. Could it be that the water that was acclimated from the store into my tank had something in it? I have no clue..

But anyway, Ive set the tank up once again. Last time, the tank was cycled by using two damsels for six weeks once the water conditions were stable. Tap was used again since it prevailed last time for almost three months until the untimely incident. Right now, my tank is cloudy due to the salt just being added. I now have three filtration sources. The UG, and two hanging topfin filters. I know the UG might be stressful. But it helped alot the last time. i plan on cycling again with some damsels. I have a hagen glo T5ho actinic and daylight fixture on the tank. Conditions should be right in the morning to start the cycle.

If there is anything else i need to know, save any information on the undergravel part, I would be open ears.
Thank you.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ok for starters don't cycle the tank with the damsels there are better ways of doing it. Cycling with fish is cruel to the fish and takes much longer, back in the early 90's every LFS was telling people that is how you cycle a tank. You can start the cycle off by placing an uncooked shrimp from the super market in the tank and allowing it to decay for a couple days. Measure your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily. You will see the ammonia first spike then it will drop and the nitrites will spike then drop and last the nitrates will spike the only way to get them to drop is by doing a water change. If you must use tap water go right ahead and use it the main thing is for you to do your water changes but keep in mind tap water may contain high levels of silicates, phosphates and other dissolved solids that may cause algae blooms and could be harmful to corals and anemones. If you plan on keeping any type of coral your salinity should be around 1.025 to 1.026 and you should check it using a refractometer specifically in a tank that size.

As for what killed your tank off the last time it's anyone’s guess. Without specific measurements there really is no way of knowing. It could have been an ammonia spike from the tank not being mature.

CGold4

I've seen the whole shrimp trick on here alot before.. I'm most likely going to try it. As for what killed it off the first time, I honestly believe it was the water the clown came in. I did water changes before with the same water, dechlorinator and everything... then when i introduced the clown, everything died. But alright. I'll begin the cycle very soon and keep an update abroad.

wscttwolfe

I honestly believe it was the water the clown came in.

The water was from the LFS right? Unless the LFS also had a mass die off I would think that this wasn't the issue.

How long after your ammonia went to zero did you start to add fish? Did you test nitrites?

glampka

If you're planning on having a FO tank - using tap water is ok. Get rid of the undergravel filter & the crushed coral. The cc has a large particle size & makes it easy for detrius to get into the bed. The undergravel filters makes the situation worse by pulling everything into the bed unless of course you have a reverse flow ug filter. Your sp. gr. is a bit low - raise it to 1.025. All municipal water supplies are not created equal. Some use chlorine to purify, most use chloramines so you need to know what you're dealing with when trying to remove it. Since the water clouded you might have had a bacteria bloom of sorts.

blackwater

i waited about 8 weeks from first setting up the tank to putting in the fish. it was well after the ammonia zero'd. after ammonia nitrite will go up then nitrate. still do not add fish. need to get nitrate down first by doing a large water change, then smaller water changes and keep testing. once nitrate was under control i waited a couple days and tested again. all was good so i added a small cuc. waited another week and tested the hole time. then i added a little bit more cuc. waited 2 weeks and kept testing. then i added my clowns. now im waiting again and testing. my next trip out will be to get the last of my cuc. take it slowly, add slowly...and test your water. good luck:eek:lsmile:

wscttwolfe

blackwater gave good advice.

I waited 3.5 weeks before CUC, then 1 small ocellaris +3 corals one week later. Then 2 weeks of watching everything closely. Point is, all tanks are different, but nothing good ever happens fast.

CGold4

Here's an update...

Emptied the tank completely today. Took out the undergravel filter. Took out the crushed coral. Cleaned the tank thoroughly. Reset it up with the cc, two power heads, two hanging topfin filters, and no undergravel filter. Again, I had to use tap water. But this time im not using my dechlorinater.. Im going to wait about a week until the chlorine evaporates out to do anymore. i added the salt. This was six hours ago and the tank is relatively clear but salinity is way too low. My live rock is in an igloo cooler with salt water in it. I'll wait for the chlorine to evaporate out until i add it all back. I plan to cycle by either the raw shrimp trick, or using one damsel.. my lighting is a hagen glo T5HO system, with daylight and actinic, running 78watts. I'll post updates when i get the chance..

CGold4

i know i know... it's all i had. and the nearest store that carries any kind of sand is almost an hour out of my way...

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Don't cycle with fish. Even damsels. Use the shrimp. It's far more humane (and effective).

Also, why not use the dechlorinator? There's a chance that some of the chlorine seeped into the substrate...

....Moving On, Moving On....

shareef

I'm a newbie myself, but when I read your post, it sounds like you are filling your tank with water and then adding the salt? If that's the case, then maybe the salt isn't thoroughly mixing/dissolving and maybe just settling to the bottom?

CGold4

photo10.jpg

heres a picture of the tank the way it is at the moment.. Ignore the weird mirrage. I think that was the cameras way of capturing the flow of the water from the filters on the back.. salinity is at 1.024. havent tested anything else yet. still deciding on how to cycle..

Doogle

Just toss in a raw shrimp from the freezer next to the steaks/meat at the grocery store.lol :thumbup:(so weird saying grocery store for some reason) Not a live shrimp! LoL. It's easier than adding pure ammonia or trying to catch damsels you regret putting in there later.

Doogle

Tank looks good, btw! I kinda like the barnacle cluster, my neighbor gave me some...maybe I will put them in a tank after all.

CGold4

Tank looks good, btw! I kinda like the barnacle cluster, my neighbor gave me some...maybe I will put them in a tank after all.

thanks buddy! yeah the barnacle cluster was one of the fish favorites when the tank was first running. a bunch of little hiding places for them.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
or green chromis. that's how the lfs advises to cycle.

Don't listen to the LFS, they just want to sell you something that you'll likely kill during the cycle. It really bothers me that people still suggest this. Just hit the grocery store and pick up an uncooked shrimp and throw it in. Wait a month (give or take) and if your water parameters are good then you're set. Much easier and you're not going to hurt or kill a fish for no reason. Just take it slow and you'll be filled with success.