Replacing the RSM 130D skimmer with Tunze 9002 nano? Good?

Hi,

I have both the stock RSM 130D skimmer in place at the back of the tank, when I bought the system the previous owner had a refugium with the Tunze 9002 nano skimmer in place!

I dont know how to hook up the refugium, he said it was a major hassle to calibrate the levels and did not notice the difference anyways!

I am wondering should I now replace the stock RSM 130D skimmer thats at the back of the tank with the Tunze 9002 skimmer that I also got with the tank?

If you have done this does it change the system set up?

Is it any better?

Whats the pros and cons?

Is it simply a matter of remove the stock skimmer and just slide the tunze skimmer back there?

Thanks all!

J

dmyers557

You should definately change out the the Tunze. The Tunze should have came with a magnet mount, just use that to put it up. I recommend getting a StevieT (InTank) media rack, it makes the whole setup up 100x better.

Right. When I have it held and magnet mounted via the inside of the electrical housing area the 9002 nano is over to the right, but now there is no mechanical filtration, im wondering is this something to worry about as I know some people wont even run a mechanical filter sponge as they believe it is a nitrate trap, any suggestions or does it have to be the StevieT media rank ?

I just think that its quite an expensive rack for what it is, no offense im sure its great but on a student budget its hard to splash out on everything!

redsea reefer

Right. When I have it held and magnet mounted via the inside of the electrical housing area the 9002 nano is over to the right, but now there is no mechanical filtration, im wondering is this something to worry about as I know some people wont even run a mechanical filter sponge as they believe it is a nitrate trap, any suggestions or does it have to be the StevieT media rank ?

I just think that its quite an expensive rack for what it is, no offense im sure its great but on a student budget its hard to splash out on everything!

The media rack is worth it. If you can't get it now, you can get the blue bonded filter pad and cut it, then put it in front of the grate, in the surface skimmer.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I know lots of people brag on it... Stevie build his company... based on the media rack... everything else was an after thought :)

StevieT

RS Sponsor
It is my first media basket and the only one I personally use. Everything else came to be from the RSM. Who knew what that crappy first rack would turn into.

If you can't get the rack yet then mount it to the rear of the tank. Then use the space around the intake for filter floss. I used to jam sponges in there to crate a shelf. Sponges are not "good" but it is better than all that detritus getting in your rear chambers. You can also make something out of egg crate.