Replacing Noisy Hood Fan RSM 130D

slfcaptain

I dont see a problem with that as long as the silicon is not in direct contact with a heat source (the fan motor or a balast). If the silicon is just around the fan case that will be fine. Just be sure that the fan is not wedged in too tight. If it is that can bend the fan case and cause vibration.

steve

ziggy

I dont see a problem with that as long as the silicon is not in direct contact with a heat source (the fan motor or a balast). If the silicon is just around the fan case that will be fine. Just be sure that the fan is not wedged in too tight. If it is that can bend the fan case and cause vibration.

steve

+1 agree silicone is OK as stated above

tangers

I see. Thanks Steve.

Regarding the two lighting fan, my two replacement fans are 5mm thinner than the OEM and they are actually a little loose when I slip them into the two slots as well. I used electrician tape to secure them but I am hearing a little bit of rattling now. I am thinking of applying silicon around the edge of the fan so that they can sit snug in the slots. Is this a good solution? I am concerned that the heat may cause the silicon to melt a little, perhaps there are other methods I can secure the fans?

I had similar problem when I recently replaced my worn out Fractal Design fans with Gelid Silent 5 fans. Where the Fractal Design fans were snug the Gelid fans were too loose. I resolved this by cutting some small pieces of duct tape and sticking them to the sides of the fans. In my case it took 3 pieces on each fan to get it to the correct width to fit well.

clearnet

I had similar problem when I recently replaced my worn out Fractal Design fans with Gelid Silent 5 fans. Where the Fractal Design fans were snug the Gelid fans were too loose. I resolved this by cutting some small pieces of duct tape and sticking them to the sides of the fans. In my case it took 3 pieces on each fan to get it to the correct width to fit well.

Thats also another great alternative. Funny my replacement fans are Fractal Designs and they arent really snug fit! I have yet to implement the fix because I am sooooo tempted to do the LED conversion... the original year old lightbulb isnt cutting it... I can tell the algae are just waiting to break out! I dont hvae a lot of corals requiring strong lights fortunately.

tangers

Thats also another great alternative. Funny my replacement fans are Fractal Designs and they arent really snug fit! I have yet to implement the fix because I am sooooo tempted to do the LED conversion... the original year old lightbulb isnt cutting it... I can tell the algae are just waiting to break out! I dont hvae a lot of corals requiring strong lights fortunately.

I'm in a similar position. I've ordered the new tubes and waiting for them to arrive. All of a sudden the tank has got very hairy even though I've renewed the RowaPhos recently. I can't really justify the LEDs at the moment.

slfcaptain

Has anyone had issues with the gelid fans becoming noisy? Mine make a lot of noise for about one minute when the turn on, then become quiet. I am wondering if I should replace them. Any suggestions?

steve

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Yes, I had issues with the Gelid fans. First they became noisy, probably from getting dusty or salty. Then they quit altogether. Took them out and cleaned them, but they were dead.

tangers

Yes, I had issues with the Gelid fans. First they became noisy, probably from getting dusty or salty. Then they quit altogether. Took them out and cleaned them, but they were dead.

So far my Gelid fans are less problematic than the Fractal Designs ones. The FD ones did something similar one fan was always a bit noisy until it warmed up. It may have been it was a little too tight in the mount as out of the when I stripped down the hood and tested each fan they ran fine. I lived with it until they started not to quieten down and then replaced the 3 FD fans with 2 Gelid fans. In my hood the empty slot near the back of the hood was slightly tighter than the rest.

All good so far *crosses fingers*