Replacing Noisy Hood Fan RSM 130D

cadugauch

I replaced today my hood fans for a silent one!

Here is what you need for this mod...

- 2 Fans Gelid Silent 5 ($8.50 each Ebay)
- Tools (screwdriver/plyers)
- Electrical Tape
- Patience...

With the factory fans...my reading was 80db at my house near the tank...after...it got down to 55 with the new fans...might not look like a lot of difference...but it is! The original fans sounded like an airplane turbine.

pictures to follow...

cadugauch

9aju9y3e.jpg
ysuzapyr.jpg
ymuregyt.jpg
8uguzu4e.jpg

The fan

mattreidy

Cool - thanks for posting the details. I think my skimmer is so noisy, even with a mod, I'd never notice the difference in the quieter light fans... :tears:

cadugauch

a6yny6ed.jpg

Cut out molex from new fan and strip all 3 cables

gu3yzema.jpg

Left and middle connect to red and right conect to black

6e8eqapu.jpg

Use electrical tape to secure

P6R

Followed this guide to the letter and delighted with the noise reduction. Many thanks for the effort - I'm now a much happier RSM 130d owner... and divorce proceedings have been put on hold.

tangers

Pro tip for anyone doing this mod. Buy some three pin fan extension cables. cut off the female ends and wire these in to the hood. You can then plug the your new fans into the new cables and when it comes to changing fans out later, it'll make the task much simpler ;-)

P6R

Pro tip for anyone doing this mod. Buy some three pin fan extension cables. cut off the female ends and wire these in to the hood. You can then plug the your new fans into the new cables and when it comes to changing fans out later, it'll make the task much simpler ;-)

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh. Now you tell me.

Bloody good idea for anyone considering it.

tangers

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh. Now you tell me.

Bloody good idea for anyone considering it.

LOL! Sorry dude. It actually only occurred to me the second time around when I was having trouble with one of my replacement fans.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I don't have a problem with these being noisy. The noisy fan on my RSM 250 is the cooling fan on the back of the hood....

stephan

Thanks for the very helpful info on how to replace the fan with silent ones.

I had to replace my fans because they were broken and realized I should have done this much earlier.
Upon restart I tripple checked that the fans were really running ok since they were so quite.

I used the info from the Red Sea pdf on
"MAX130 hood fan replacement instructions.pdf"
for the basics on how to remove the cover.

The fans I used were Fractal Design 50mm Silent Series R2 (which were easier for me to obtain
here in Sweden) and it works well. Except for one tiny problem I hade: these fan were slightly
larger than the original so when I squeezed then in place one did not work since it was too deformed.
I hade to use a file to remove some of the plastic until it fitted ok.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance: