repairing a tank

soriano

I came across a 70g tank that has a small crack on the bottom pane. Other than that all sides are ok.

Any recommendations on how to take a tank apart so I can just replace the bottom pane?

Is there any product that wil disolve the silicone? Or do i have to try and squeeze a razor between the pieces of glass...

mps9506

I really wouldn't recomend this for any tank that you plan on having hold water because you need to make sure all edges are at right angles and you do a quality silicone job, especially with a tank this size.
I have replaced side panels on several aquariums and terrariums. We purchase a couple of replacement frames (might be difficult for a 70 gallon as it is not a common size and if it is an old tank, they may not make the ones for the thicker brace less tanks anymore). We then pull off the old top frame (which always involves us breaking the old plastic frame in the process). A box cutter works well for sliding between the two plates of glass and cut through the silicone. Then replace the panel, silicone in place (use an angle to make sure the glass plates are at 90 degrees)and let cure. Silicone new frame in place and let it cure.
Again I've only done single side panels before, and most of the times it wasn't even that cost effective, glass isn't cheap, at least not here if you are buying a single small panel at a time.
In your case you are talking about having to cut every piece of glass out and redoing both frames. I probably would just as soon drop it off at a place that builds aquariums and let them handle it if you plan on using it for an aquarium.

soriano

I see your points. however, it just seems like such a waste. if anything i'd like to salvage as much of the glass as I can and build something smaller.. or use what's left for baffles or something.

Know what i mean? :)

lcstorc

Now that sounds like a much better idea. Just take apart as detailed above and then you have the glass to use for baffels or other projects. I just would not trust a tank I built to hold water, but then again I am not exactly "handy" so someone who is may be able to do it.

burning2nd

ive seen a intier salt water fish store sumped together with about 30 tanks (all with cracks and blemish's)

whats the size of the bottem of the tank?

ive seen (and worked well) a guy just cut another thick piece glass that fits right in the tank (from the top with plastic removed) placeing a bead of glue around the crack, then around the corners of the glass just slid down

anothe i new had a kinda geato stand that had a peace (center of tank suported)

all you really have to do is seal it and strenthing it......

Im not saying you should do cause then you will tell me well..... he said i should.

theres much more heavyer things in the world that brake and crack that cant or should be disguarded..... i beleave with some brain power and a little dIY you will be able to repair the tank and use it safely.....

risk??>? yes

could be cheaper in the long run to just use a new tank....

but then ageain theres plenty of new things that you buy, that come broke so that doesnt guarantee anything

just my crack Opinon........

cracker

I'm with burning2nd! Imho it would be a waste to dismantle this tank. The bottom pane can be replaced with a little planning. 1st the bottom frame needs to be removed without busting it. A glass shop will be able to supply the right strength glass & cut to the exact size needed. You could choose nontempered glass and have a couple holes drilled in it for internal overflow boxes. Note where the old pane met the sides and don't be shy with the silicone!

soriano

Hmmm... i think i might try to repair it...
The tank has braces up top, so i think the angles will be held at 90degrees.

The tank doesn't have a frame, i think it was a diy without the plastic frame.

I just have to try and figure out the how to cut through the silicone. (between the pieces of glass). I'm going to have to use an exacto knife, but even the width of that blade might be too wide...

Hmmm...

cracker

No bottom frame/support is interesting . Are the top supports made of glass? Do they fit into the corners and maybe another one in the center from the back to front? I think the term is "euro bracing" I agree trying to separate the bottom pane from the side panes with an exacto knife will be difficult. This will sound crazy. I assume the side panes are intact and the bottom pane is cracked and already weakened. A sharp rap or two on the bottom pane may break it the rest of the way into several pieces. MAYBE these broken sections can be removed one at a time. This would avoid having to force an exacto knife blade between the bottom and side panes.

soriano

Cracker,
To answer the framing question. It was a DIY tank. The side panels sit on top of the bottom pane. On the top of the tank I have 3 braces. 2 thin braces at each end of the tank, running from front to back. (holds the front back and sides together) and a center brace

As for taking the tank apart - I was actually just thinking about smashing the bottom pane and just taking it apart. At least i'll be able to save the side panes.

cracker

LOL! consider busting the bottom pane and removing it in sections leaving the sides intact. Silicone a new bottom piece of glass. Sorry if I seem pushy but it's not difficult at all. You will want to do a test fill outside of course . If it drips run a bead of silicone with the tank full of water the water pressue will force the silicone into the leak. Drain the water soon after. Sounds crazy but it works. Today I aquired an old metal frame aquarium with a slate bottom. The two side panes are broken I couldn't pass it up. Now instead of me sitting back,giving you suggestions, I have to repair a tank as well!:smack:

Frankie

RS STAFF
I rebuilt my 120. I replaced the front pane with starphire glass and im real happy with the results. When i tried to take off the front pane (because it was scratched) it broke. The top brace was just to hard to get off. So i ended up cutting it off and breaking down the whole tank. I rebuilt it with a stainless steel euro brace on top and replaced the bottom brace.
I think you can do it also and will keep an eye on this thread to see how your doing. If you need help PM me. See if you can ge CR Lawrence aquarium silicone. The stuff worked great for me. Heres a picture ofthe tank when it was done in my thread. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/7101-frankies-120gal-glass-experiment-10.html I get such a great feeling knowing i was able to do that. You will also. Welcome to the DIY club!

soriano

Sweet, thanks for the support and advice everyone!
Hold on a sec while I go to the basement and pull a Joe Pesci on this tank!

I'll keep you posted and supply pics as I go!

evallarta1

:bump:

So I was on craigslist looking for my fish saltwater tank when I stumbled across my 75 gallon reef ready tank. Well the guy I bought it from was also selling a 135 gallon oceanic with a crack in the front. Well I figured I couldnt pass it up for 100 bucks. Well I ended up talking him down to 75 for it. Now Im not ready to tackle it now but exactly how hard is it to replace the glass. Right off the bat its going to be a 2 man job since the pane of glass I have to replace is 2 x 6 feet!! Is this worth it or should I just through it back on craigslist and call it a day? If its worth some of my time Id rather fix it and have a killer tank.....