Rekkie's RSM250

Rekkie

Hi Merdel,

I am currently running my Gen 3's at 45% and getting awesome growth, stuff is growing from the rock and i have no idea what it is. I found anything more that the 45% my acan's would pale and close up, even at 45% i have to put them on the sand bed, some of them are doing ok on the rocks in the middle but the ones that weren't i have put back onto the bed and they have come back to normal colour.

I would set up the acclimate mode for around 3 weeks and work your way up to a max of 50% in MHO. They will be more intense without the wide angle lenses so maybe even lower than this until you get them. I don't believe the Gen 1 are as powerful as the 3's but still i would not underestimate them especially being a couple of inches off the water.

Hey mate, I just got 2 gen 1 radions for a decent price and am going to pop them in my rsm 250 hood like you did. I've read all your posts but through your trial and error what power % do you suggest I start them at now?(coming from t5). And I'll need to buy some lenses for them so I'm guessing I go the wide lenses? Thanks

Rekkie

Hi All,

I took the family on a snowboarding holiday to Hakuba in Japan over the festive season and was gone for around 18 days.

When we returned i had lost a couple of Acan polyps off one of my frags, i assume because my KH had dropped to around 7 even when it was dosing around 40 ml a day. I did some water changes and bumped up the dosage to around 55ml a day and it corrected itself over two to three days.

Although i had someone feeding the fish / eel i did not ask the house sitter to check my water parameters.

I didn't have any issues with anything else though and everything seems to be back to normal.

Also just recently removed most of the below image from my live rock (not sure what it is) but it was getting way to big. Since i removed it i have had to reduce the kh as it was getting to high. I am not sure if the seaweed / plant below would use up the buffer at all but it is the only thing i have changed since our return, it may be just a coincidence.

This photo taken around September last year

And this taken around 3 weeks ago

Oxylebius

Those are very nice pieces of read macroalgae. I'd stick it back in your tank for the time being and find a lfs that you can trade it in for or a local reefing club where you can trade it for corals. It is really hard to find really nice pieces of red macroalgae like those. Anyone with a planted fuge would snatch them up.

They most likely helped keeping you WQ good in your tank. watch for nitrates and phosphate now.

And yes, some macroalgae are calcifying and will take in Ca and Alk like corals.

Rekkie

Thanks for the info Qxylebius, it seems to be growing quite fast so i will see if i can start trading it. I am back to changing out 50l of nsw i get from the llfs per week and checked my nitrates and phosphates are at acceptable levels.

Rekkie

Hi All,

Its been a while since i posted so i am just giving a little update, I have been thinking of a tank upgrade recently as i am just running out of space after around 5 years of growth. I have given a few soft corals, anemones and red macro algae away recently to a few friends as they just got either too big or split too many times. I will give the tank a clean and post some FTS sometime this weekend.

I ordered a white 450 Reefer today and hope to have it in a week or two. I plan to reuse my Radion's and hope to have the brackets arrive for them next week and will then put the T5's back in the lid and sell off the old RSM 250 once the new tank is setup and running ready for the rock and livestock transfer.

I think for now i will continue to use the Deltect MC500 as it is a great Skimmer and can run in a sump with no issues and rated to 650l or 450l heavily stocked. The two Tunze pumps i took out of the 250 years ago as a single MP10 was enough flow have now be taken out of the cupboard and will be reused. The original barely used skimmer was dusted off last weekend and cleaned up to go back into the RSM250 once the new tanks is setup.

My Teco TC20 Chiller is also large enough to be reused so all i really need is a good return pump and currently eyeing out the Ecotech Vectra M1 or L1 but haven't decided yet. I am pretty sure the M1 can handle the return and chiller but just need to figure out the best way to plumb it.

Rekkie

Tank arrived this morning, so i took the day off work to put it together also cleaned some new sand from the LFS and will only be transferring a couple of handfuls of the old sand from the RSM 250 sometime this weekend.

I thought it would be easy putting the old T5's back in the lid but seem to have misplaced all the screws, i think i will get a small LED fixture to put in it before i sell it. However i did put the reflector and moonlights back in and they seem to be working fine.

Anyway new tank is awesome and have a NSW delivery tomorrow to fill it up and start the cycle.

Rekkie

Some FTS of the new tank. I have the Radions at around 65% and checked the PAR with the Seneye and getting between 300 to 450 at the top and 100 to 150 at the SB.

It seems strange that all this fitted in the RSM 250