Refugium

burtonboy

I was just wondering if my nitrates and amonia would spike if i add a refugium to my tank thats been running for about a year? would the sand that i put in there go through a cycle to?

Jeremy0322

Dont take this 100% but im pretty sure you could just buy some aragonite sand that wasnt "live" and use that in the fuge. Then take a little bit of sand from your tank and seed it with that sand, which will make the sand in the fuge live in a certain amount of time(unknown to me). That would also let your DBS in the fuge, assuming thats what your shooting for, grow into the system itself. Just seems like the right way to ease into it once your system is up. Now, like i said, I wouldnt bet any substantial amount of money on that, but logically it makes sense to me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No you wont have a "Cycle" from that. The CYCLE comes from a "Die-Off" of organisms and is really only noticeable if the die-off is significant in proportion to the established tanks capacity. In reality our tanks are in a constant state of "cycling" as things (whether we know it or not) die and are broken down. More things die the Biological Filtration will populate to handle that and as the "Food" for them is consumed their population will dwindle until the next "opportunity".