refugium problems

onix

My refugium is set up above 4 month, have 18w 50/50 lights on all the day. I am using 80# of miracle mud. The problems is cheato is not growing. I think that is deading. A LFS try to sell me a product named Coral vital. He tellme that may the problems is that I need some trace elements like Iodine and Iron. In the refugium only grow green hair algae. My preocupation is if add this elements maybe I am helping other unlikjed algae to grow.
Any suggestion are welcome
Thanks every one

vdituri

You should be getting the trace elements you need from weekly water changes. If you are really worried about them make sure to get a test kit first so you know where your levels are at. The LFS can only guess if they are not testing your water.

Is the chaeto still green? If the hair algae is growing then I would think that your chaeto is growing as well.

onix

You should be getting the trace elements you need from weekly water changes. If you are really worried about them make sure to get a test kit first so you know where your levels are at. The LFS can only guess if they are not testing your water.

Is the chaeto still green? If the hair algae is growing then I would think that your chaeto is growing as well.

No men the cheato are going brown. Today I will remove some cheato to see if the bown is just the brown algae that I have in my display tank. Can be a light problems in my refugium?? May be I make a test an put some cheato in the display to see if they grow with the 260w of lights.

Are your lights running 24 hours a day? If so, that might be your problem. Although caulerpa does well under 24 hour lighting, I think chaeto actually needs a dark period.

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

onix

Are your lights running 24 hours a day? If so, that might be your problem. Although caulerpa does well under 24 hour lighting, I think chaeto actually needs a dark period.

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

I only turn on the lights 12 hours/day

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
How long have you had the chaeto in the fuge. Initially, I had some die off of my chaeto, but then it took off. It took a couple of weeks.

onix

It very well could be the lighting. I would not move it to the main display tank but upgrade the lighting in the refuguim. just a basic lamp will do. Woodstock has great success with her's. Check out her thread. It's the top link. Also i put a link in for a spell checker for you. You will find it helps a lot. I use it all the time. :)
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/16203-woodys-120-escapade.html
ieSpell - Download

LOL thanks for the spell check, is great

Snelly40

i have my lights on 24/7 in my fuge and cheato grows like a weed.

I think the LFS guy ripped you off by selling you coral vital to help with cheato. Cheato really just needs lights and it shoudl grow. Make sure you prune it and have decent flow, but it really should grow pretty easily and will become a nice bright forest green!!! good luck

blue_eyes53813

I would leave the lights on 24/7. If that doesnt help than you may need a little more light over the algae.. Ive usually had about 3-4 watts per gallon

Frankie

RS STAFF
Mine grows like weed in Thiland under 24/7 lighting. Mine doesn't tumble either.