refugiem Quiz?

das

G'day all
Have any of you used magic mud?or does your mini reef(sump)have live rock in it (still getting use to the international lingo) what is the benefit of using mud and or rock?is rock better for fish or is coral better with mud?

Charlie97L

i'm currently setting up a 20g with a 10g refugium... i'm planning on running a DSB, one or two pieces of live rock, and macro algae, probably some cheato and some kinds that plant in the sand. i'd say miracle mud is good, but if you do that, i'm not sure you can have like, burrowing inverts in it, like in a DSB... could be, but I haven't heard of that. i'm also putting in a medium sized hermit crab just because it's cool.

prow

i used the MM. did not like the results. i recently switched to BB refugium with LR and cheato.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have used the MM in the past and found it worked well with breading pods and being a good root base for the macro. So far this time im bare bottom but am waiting for a new product called Fiji Mud to come in. I'll let you all know how i like it when i do.
ATM im just keeping macro and live rck in a bare bottom set up.

Last edited:

prow

dobejazz said:
What results did you see after using the MM?
it worked ok. the things i did not like was;
1. even the mysids and things stir it up. it gets all in my pumps everytime i clean them i see the brown film. if you disturb it to much clouds the tank and leaves a brown film over the rock and all else.
2. it really did not do anything for trace minerals or anything. i had to add the same suppliments as i did with other methods.
3. it has alot of iron in it so that good for macro.
4. you need a skimmer. i tried it for year before i added the skimmer. nitrates were always there 10+. after skimmer added, 2 months, 0 all the time.
5. its nothing special IMO. just costs alot.
6. when i took it out it had real dark areas, almost black. dont know what that was all about. but glad i got the mud out before i found out.

ive ben running the miracle mud system for 5 years and WOULD NOT go back i DO NOT RUNN A SKIMMER in 5 years and my tank it doing very well.
its doing better since i took the skimmer out and put the mud in
check out my web site and see for you self
Mike
www.mojosreef.com

ive never added anything to it just the mud

Mad Mike

I had a mud set up when I first started the tank. I made loads of mistakes along the way and it got really polluted. When I sucked it all out it had that rotten egg smell (sulfuric acid?) and it really put my tank in a state of chaos.

I figure anything that you use as a nutrient sponge has to get saturated sooner or later. I had beautiful plants growing in the mud and all kinds of critters but it started back feeding into my tank and I had tons of algae.

Like anything else you can keep one if you so desire but you really need to look at a maintenance program for it. I think the biggest thing is how will you cleaning it and disturbing it have a negative impact on your tank. I don't think trimming the various plants is a suitable means of export. To some degree yes but anything that grows needs fertile ground to grow in. WHatever the plants dont take up stays in the substrate and sooner or later backfeeds into the tank.