Refrugium Light

jaubuchon

Refugium Light

I just setup a 29 gal reef 2 weeks ago and now I've added a very simple refugium using a 10 gal tank and some food safe containers to trap bubbles. So far so good... I've simulated power outages etc. I had 2 reasons for doing this. FIrst, I wanted to increase the water in my system. Second, I wanted a DSB to reduce nitrates. I've got about 3 - 4 inches of sand in there now and I estimate I have approx 7 gal water.

I was wondering whether I needed to install a light. Since I'm mostly interested in the nitrogen producing bacteria, I was thinking that a light wouldn't be needed... Is there another reason why I would want a light?
Thanks!

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like having "Cheato" in the Refugium to help export nutrients (also reduced Nitrates) and gives the beneficial "Pods" a place to hide and thrive. How does the water get from the display tank to the fuge and back to DT?

I have a "Energy Efficient" curly que light in a clamp on desk lamp for my refugium but I am growing Cheato in there

jaubuchon

I've got an overflow that feeds into a rectangular 2 qt container I placed in the refugium. Its about 2" x 8" x12". I cut a slot in the container about mid height to allow bubble free water to flow into the rest of the tank. I also have a HOB skimmer that pulls from the tank and feeds into the container. From there, any bubbles rise and the bubble free water goes through the slot to the rest of the tank.

I have a small pump (only about 200 gal/hour) that pumps back to the display tank. The pump has suction cups, so I mounted it on the side of the tank close to the water surface. This way if I lost siphon in my overflow, the pump would run out of water before it overflowed the DT. I used an old Ehiem return nozzle and drilled siphon break holes to minimize drainage in case of power outage. After simulating loss of pump, I've marked the fill line.

It's not the prettiest sump, but I've ran it through the tests and I think I'm flood safe :) I'll post some pictures on my reef chronical page tomorrow.

I put the sand in last night. I think I'll probably add a light eventually, but I figured for now I can at least get the bacteria colonies going. What do yo think?

I read about "Cheato", it sounds interesting. If I were to use this, would I need to keep the lights on 24/7 to avoid having it go "sexual"? From what I've read, it sounds like I wouldn't need much light for the 10 gal... Would 10 to 20 watts be enough?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Cheato doesn't go "asexual" like the other Macro-algaes do. That's part of it's charm plus it's EASY to keep with little light.

I have ran my fuge light 24/7 but I've also ran it reverse light schedule to the main lights. I have it on 24/7 right now but I think I'll go back to reverse to main.

Keep us posted.

:)