Reefs in trouble??

ive read some really disturbing articles about coral bleaching it seems as tho all reefs will be dead by 2050,mainly because of green house emmisions. do u think this could really happen?

prow

yup......CO2 levels are turning our oceans acidic...then the warming and melting icecaps can create some pretty big temp changes.

chrome91

could be true, but all those calendars also say the world is going to end in 2012 also, which could happen and thats far before 2050. it would be sad to see all the natural reefs go, but i say just ride it out and see what happens in 2012

Smiley1

I would think it could be true but on the other hand, everything seems to adapt over a period of time so there might be some evolution involved which might give us a totally new type of reef. Some corals have even gone to a point of cross breeding to survive. just never know....

yea frank,this really sucks i wonder if the coral could adapt to the high temps. but crown of thorns starfish are still a threat.

chrome91

i personally dont believe in global warming, i think the world is going through a natural heat phase like how cold the earth was during the ice age and we're just getting blamed for it. it would be interesting if the reefs adapted though