Reefmack's Red Sea Max

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Well, since I've had mine tank since April 2007, it's a bit late to start a build thread, so I'll start one here and update it as things change.

The beginning - 24 lbs. of live rock from Reef Science:

Tank4_21_07.jpg

The rock was fully cured, and as a safeguard I added Bio-Spira live bacterial innoculant with each batch of rock, another 25 lbs. added within a week, and fish added about a week later. Using multiple test kits I've never had a measurable cycle since day one - no ammonia, no nitrites, just some nitrates. I attribute this to the fully cured rock, and the use of Bio-Spira.

Although fully cured, the rock had coralline on it, and a lot of life (good types) that were hitchhikers. This was taken a few hours after the first rock went in - zoas opening, several bright red mushrooms, and some green star polyps. I was amazed how much life was still on the rock and that I saw no die-off.

GreenStar1.jpg

After the second 25 lbs. of rock, and after adding 2 clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, and a Diadema Pseudochromis. As I said, even after adding fish, no ammonia, no nitrates - I was a happy camper!

Tank5_2_07.jpg

I suffered through a diatom stage for a couple weeks, but never had anything but a very minor amount of green hair algae. I have no grisly looking pictures of my rockwork covered in green hair, thank goodness!

The tank at about 2 months, after adding some corals:

Tank6_2_07.jpg

I went though a lot of early mods on the RSM skimmer. This was one of the mesh mods on the skimmer pump impeller. None of these or other mods ever did much to improve RSM skimmer performance:

Mod7_5_07.jpg

The tank at about 7 months. I replaced the RSM hood with a Current Outer Orbit Pro HQI/T5 fixture to open up the back section to different skimmers, and ATO, etc.

TankSitting.jpg

An older picture of the back of the tank with the raised hood off - I went with a Aqua C Remora HOB skimmer that performs great, and Tunze ATO sensors. The blue thing was a DIY mechanical filter I built. I'm now running a 3 tiered media basket (purchased from StevieT) to the right of the Remora. It's a bit tight back there now, but it all fits, and the media basket solved a lot of problems with media placement and mechanical filtration.

ATOBack.jpg

A few days output from the Remora. I doubt I got this much gunk out in months of running the stock skimmer! The stock skimmer works well for some, but the one I got was depositing all of the gunk in the upper skimmer body and neck of the skimmer cup, nothing much ever in the cup.

skimmate9_22_07.jpg

Jumping way ahead, this is pretty much the look I had till a few months ago:

Tank8_18_20MHR.jpg

My diadema dottyback - I've had it from the start and it's still one of my favorite fish. A bit aggressive but none of my fish have ever physically hurt one another - just occasional displays of dominance:

Dottyback2a.jpg

At about 9-10 months I had an outbreak of pesky Bryopsis algae that was starting to overgrow some of my corals. I tried pulling it out, but tough to remove & grew right back. I tried elevated magnesium levels but saw some negative effects on some of the polyps. Although the fish will eventually get too big for the tank, as a last resort I bought a small Foxface. The Bryopsis was gone in a week, and hasn't reappeared!

Foxface11_25_07.jpg

In April I bought a small 9g Aqua Medic tank and moved the top rock and corals from the RSM to furnish the 9g nano. This gave me a clean slate on top to get some new rock on top, move things around and try for a new look, and new coral types. The bare top back in April:

RSM4_27_08.jpg

I'm now trying SPS, Acropora, Montipora, Pocillopora, and some new lps types (Blastomussa, Duncans, etc.). I'm begining to like the look of the tank again, and even now prefer it over the "old" look.

Under the 20000k HQI metal halide:

FTS37_5_08.jpg

And under only the 420/460 actinics - I love the way the corals fluoresce and "pop out" under actinic lighting! A totally different appearance:

FTSsmallActinics7_6_08.jpg

And here's a couple of other actinic close ups. I didn't realize it till looking through old Photobucket pics that my light green acropora has grown a good inch in about a month. The montiporas grow even faster. And my 3 week old green & blue Duncans are already putting out baby heads all around the stalks. Amazing how quickly some of these things grow, while others can be impossible to keep alive.

Corals7_6_08.jpg

Corals27_6_08.jpg

Corals1.jpg

Pocillopora damicornis - another SPS type I'm having good luck with. But, these are semi-agressive so it may be a problem as it grows. I've tried to avoid aggressive corals in my latest setup, but I didn't read up on this one first - one of those impulse buys!

Pocillopora7_5_08.jpg

A Blastomussa wellsi I won on Ebay a week ago. One polyp so far, but that one polyp can expand to over 2" across:

Under actinics:

BlastomussaWellsi7_6_08.jpg

Under the metal halide:

BlastoWellsi.jpg

I got tired of pink pictures from 16 months of coralline growth on the sides and back. This picture was with a 9 month old 20 k metal halide lamp:

FTS27_5_08.jpg

Major Coralline Attack #1 - and new 14k metal halide bulb in - I couldn't get at the coralline on the left side of the gate with my 6 inch wide Aqua Medic Razor Scraper:

FTS7_20_08.jpg

After yesterday's attack with the new razor scraper that's the width of a single edged blade. I broke a corner off 2 blades, but was able to retrieve them:

FTS7_27_08.jpg

The gate is still covered, but to me it looks much better. Sorry all you coralline lovers, but I've learned to hate the stuff! :) If you don't want a pink tank keep after it before it gets too thick. I've learned my lesson!

I then moved a large piece of rock with a nice green zoa colony to the right side (not visible), moved some things around on the substrate to get better flow and get rid of some cyano. Things were too cramped, plus I have a tendency to overfeed. Having my timers get messed up after a recent all night power outage resulted in my MH lamp being on for 12+ hours instead of 7 - I noticed that mid week. Put all these together and they promote cyano. Top left is a small magnetic frag rack.

FTSSM8_10_08.jpg

My new frag of neon green Palau Nepthea - hard to photograph fluorescent green corals - too bright I guess. Liveaquaria wants $80 & shipping for this size frag. I got mine for only $19.

PalauNepthea8_10_08.jpg

Some new Montipora digitata. The orange piece on the right broke off while mounting it, so I mounted it on the right side of a new purple digitata in the middle. In just a bit over a week there are new branch shoots popping up on both the orange and purple, Lower left is a German blue digitata only a few weeks old & doing great. Bottom middle is a superman monti that has doubled in size in 3 weeks - much prettier than the pictures show.

NewMontis8_10_08.jpg

In the frag pack with the above new digitata I got a piece of nice green Monti cap - mounted it below my orange piece that is starting to form plates after only a few weeks. The orange Monti was only a square inch piece when I got it. Montipora grows fast!

MontiCaps8_10_08.jpg

Green & Orange digis about a month old and really growing!

Montis8_10_08.jpg

The other two Montis in the frag pack were two encrusting types - I think the first is a M. danae type, with hard to see small, bright blue polyps, and no idea what the one in the second pic is. Pics are a bit fuzzy but I was in a rush to eat dinner at thde time. :)

MontiDanae8_10_08.jpg

MontiX8_10_08.jpg

I guess that's it for an update on where I'm at with my tank. Stay tuned.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks very much blue eyes53813! The wife has always complained I didn't have enough color in the tank, so I used that for an excuse to change things and pour some more $$$ into it. :) Anything I can do to help her enjoy the tank as much as I do works for me! I just jumped to the end of your chronicle - your tank is beautiful!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks Scooterman! Lottsa changes in 16 months, and I've learned a lot, and still learning. Some of the things I've tried have worked out well, and others not so well. A lot of work, but it's been fun and enjoyable.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi SeahorseBT. Yep - my Montis are really growing. The Nepthea has also really grown since I remounted it with a rubberband.

Nepthea28_23_08.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
gotcha - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! Thanks! No problem on the water changes. When I do one of about 4 gallons weekly the corals don't get exposed, and even if they did get exposed it would only be for a minute or two. They can handle being exposed for a short time with no negative effects. They were probably out of water for a longer period when I was getting them ready to glue/epoxy onto the rock - they're more hardy than you may think. You obviously don't want to let them dry out though, so the shorter the time is that they're out of water the better.

I just have to be careful that I don't knock any off with the end of the siphon hose, but there's a good bit of space in front of the rocks so that's not a big worry.

cbrownfish

Great job man, looking really nice. Are you manually dosing Ca? You must be running through it! Please Describe your dosing regimen and how you add it to the tank. I wish I could get my actinic shots to come out that good!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hey - thanks cbrownfish! I'm dosing manually. Started with Kent Tech CB 2-part, and although the 1/2 g bottles lasted a long time, I recently switched to the Bulk Reef Supply stuff to save some money by making the 2-part myself. I'm daily adding about 11 ml of the Ca part, and 4.5 ml of the Alk part. It took a while to tune it in, but I'm now getting my Ca to consistently stay right around 450, and my Alk about 9.5. I picked up 14x2 oz. small Nalgene plastic sample bottles from the chem lab that I used to manage, and I make up a week's worth of doses by pipetting the ml amount of Ca & Alk into the bottles (7 small bottles Ca, 7 Alk), then filling the bottles with RO/DI. Every morning before I leave for work I slowly add a bottle of Part A (Ca) to my back filtration compartment, and 15-20 minutes later a slow add of the Part B (Alk). Too much of a PITA to be pipetting when I'm only half awake, and this is a pretty easy system for me. I usually dose about 20 ml of Mg with my weekly water change (but I haven't checked Mg lately and need to!).

cbrownfish

Cool, thanks for sharing. Sound like you need a medical doing pump so you can sleep in for an extra 15 minutes! :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nah - I'm up getting ready for work during that 15 minutes anyway. Too much money already spent on this addiction! :)

Mister Chips

I have admired your take for some time! It looks really nice. I really like the look of the lighting upgrade you did. Any issues with jumpers? Or do you have a screen of some sort?

I have been shopping on Marine Depot and I think I found the same lighting you have. But the description varies a bit from yours. Maybe Current has a newer model? I assume it is the 24 inch Current USA Outer Orbit 1x150W 10K HQI-MH w/ 2x65W Dual Actinic & 4 Lunar Lights?

Anyway, thanks for your help on some of the other forums I found you in also.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nope - no jumpers (knock on wood).

Update 10/18/08:

I just put a new VorTech MP20 in the RSM today, and I am very impressed with it! I'll be doing more playing around with the different modes and settings later, but it's creating flow in every part of the tank. I have it on short pulse mode now, which creates an adjustable frequency between minimum and maximum speeds, and is creating wave action on the surface. As I've read, the flow is very broad, so even at a max of supposedly 2000 gph it isn't blowing things off the rocks. Does a great job of suspending detritis too, so it can be pulled into the filtration section. Along with putting the Vortech in, I also gave the tank a good razor scraping, replaced all of my chemical media, and remounted some corals, including attaching a Palau Nepthea frag I had been growing out on my frag rack. So, my corals were all a bit "upset" with all the tank maintence going on, and many of them are sliming a bit, but the new pump is doing a great job of removing the slime and keeping it suspended till it gets filtered out. I can no longer see any dead spots in the tank. The coralline encrusted Koralia has been retired! So far no negatives on the Vortech, and it's very quiet. Amazing what a single pump can do!

Took some pictures this evening......

From the right side of the RSM. the Vortec motor on the outside of the tank:

Vortechright.jpg

Inside - the magnetically powered propeller housing:

VortechInside.jpg

Turbulence on surface during a maximum power pulse:

VortechTurbulence1.jpg

Another:

VortechTurbulence2.jpg

FTS showing a bit of waves on the surface:

FTS10_18_08.jpg

As an added benefit the maximum tank temperature seems to have dropped at least one degree without the heat from the Koralia motor being in the tank.

I've also noticed that the Vortech has a lot of undertow - it not only pushes a lot of water, it also pulls a lot in too, which is creating great flow all over the tank, even under the Vortech.

And a new picture of some of my SPS, etc. - I'm really getting some nice growth:

SPS10_18_08.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Dummy me!

Got home tonight and replaced my filter pad and noticed the water felt cold. My Pinpoint wireless thermometer showed 79.9, but I was skeptical. I got out my lab grade glass/mercury thermometer and it read 22.4 C - 72.32 F! I started to freak out and checked things, and I found I never flipped the switch to turn the heater back on after my Saturday water change! So far everything still looks fine (fingers crossed) but I've lost faith in my Pinpoint thermometer.