Reefkeeping Dangers

forestal

just found this thread...don't know how i missed it...thanks Nikki and everyone else for the info...always good to be prepared

keep some benadryl and vinegar on hand to douse any venom bite/scratch, then get seen

btw, sorry to pry NIkki but what is the dot M?

NaH2O

Contributing Member
LOL - its a secret society...kidding. It is shorthand for Ironman...which is a triathlon distance. I really want to compete in one sometime in the next few years. I planned on doing a 1/2 ironman this summer, but so far my training has been poor....I've been pretty sick for the past 3 1/2 weeks. Shouldn't take too long to get back to it....keeping my fingers crossed. Ah sorry - I'm rambling :)

Thanks for the tip on vinegar. I've also heard about hot hot water to denature the proteins.

forestal

so cool...i wish i had the time (well really the motivation) to do this...your muscles will pop back quick, just don't overdo it too quickly...lots of muscle rest..good luck with this...someday when the kids have grown and i have retired (then i will need a walker to compete :()

heat may help, but it will increase blood flow=swelling=inflammation...therefore i wouldnt...especially if the increase in bloodflow spreads the poison quicker... heat has to be too hot to tolerate to denature proteins...(i think)

the heat advice is not from direct knowledge, just more basic inflammation stuff i encounter, so i very well could be wrong :)

corvettephreek

i used rubbing alcohol and peroxide on a scrape I got from a buddys hard coral. (bleached unfortunately). he told me i should be more worried about what is floating around in the tank instead of the wound itself. also- anemones dont sting me (yet). does it take bad handling or something to provoke an anemone or certain corals to sting humans? or is it only the fish it will sting? I havent had an incident yet, luckily.

jcoopergd

I get little welts occasionally from my frogspawn.....little bug biteish looking things that itch like hell for a day, then go away....if the dam thing didnt keep growing, i'd be able to work around it....oh well...it's happy, im happy

j

corvettephreek

umm... anemones sting..... I just found out today.... buggr got spooked and left a series of welts around my finger..... OOOHHH.... lol your right j, itches..... hope it goes away before tomorrow.... lol my boss will be kind of concerned with me scratching my fingers constantly.... lol!!

RandyG

That is some great advise, because all the bad things outlined is exactly what I do, posterchild 3.

SCIFI_3D_zoo

Man... I can't believe the aquarists god Playa had this happen to him. I guess even to the best of us eh. I've never heard of them squirting like that. I have reaad about this before but it's good to be reminded. I have about 6 little zoo frags coming next week. I really think zoo's are kool too.

I was wondering.. after a mishap with a sea apple... if they're so toxic what about the water? Can they toxify the water and kill other things?

wickjr

Crazy stuff. I have read about most of the other stuff, but the microbacterium infection is a new one. I have a pretty nasty cut on my right hand and my wife has been watching me like a 3 year old to keep it out of the tank. Good thing I guess. Those are some nasty pics. Thanks for the great info.

CAReefer

One thing outside of the tank to consider.

I was breaking up bleached coral skeletons to place into Calcium Reactor, a rather thick stubborn piece took considerable effort, and when it broke shattered into several pieces, one flying up and taking a huge chip from my polycarbonate eyeglasses. I can only imagine what would have happened had I not been wearing them.

blue_eyes53813

This may sound really weird but Ive had it happen to me a few times. Ive been in the hobby for five years and sometimes like after feeding the fish or having my hand in the tank for a brief time. I will wash my hands and probably within 5-10 minutes my right eye will start to swell. Im not kidding here. The first time it happened I though I got SW in my eye so I blew it off and a few weeks later it happened again and I know I didnt get Sw in my eye.I went to the DR actually right away and they said I am allergic to something in the tank. I have know idea of course what it would be. I dont even have to touch my eye and it swells. Does anybody else have this happen? or am I just one of the weird ones. I put allergy drops in my eyes when this happens and it will stop swelling within an hour.:columbo: :columbo: Thats what I look like sometimes.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Had a brush with my Euphyllia ancora, it got the best of me :rollingey
I've had anemones wrap around my hands and I've touched soo many different corals with no problems but my Ancora kicks my butt :rolleyes:

143_4390.jpg