Reefkeeping Dangers

caitrina

:bump:

I really think if there is a way to make this post always visible and available it should be at least attempted just for the information on it that could actually save someone's life if read, at least if it is always visible, it may be read because some people, beginners particularly, are not aware of the dangers of some fish and corals ..so here is a another friendly little :bump:

kathywithbirds

Oh, holy cow and her mother.

I have zoos and just read the section on palytoxin. Thought I went over the reefkeeping danger parts, but I missed that somehow.

I a. don't wear gloves b. recently glued a peice of zoo to a rock c. have eczema d. which has cropped up again on my hands where it usually comes up (stress, too much coffee, sweating, the moon in Taurus, salt water...)

and am now stressing a little as I just last week blew off my annual dermatology check (I'm very moley and freckly and weird-things-on-my-skin-y and my grandfather has had numerous melanomas removed).

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
OK this is my story.

A little over a year ago was a day that change my out look on reef tanks. I was migrating a 125 to a 170. I was in the process of moving the corals & inhabitants as I always did. Then it happened. I was moving an elephant ear mushroom to the temporary tank. I didnt realize it was attached to 2 rocks well it tore & released toxins into the water. it only took a few minutes & my entire arm & had was swollen, to the point I could not close my had @ all. The toxins were so strong they killed every coral in the temp tank as well as the inhabitants that were there as well.

Now everytime I forget & not wear my aqua gloves that go to my armpit. When there are any toxins in the water I have a reaction. Benadryl seem to be a common thing for me know. As a matter of fact I had to work on a tank on thursday forgot my gloves & again swollen hands the bumbs etc..

The moral to my story is this reef tanks are as dangerous when working with them a the sharks I deal with use protection. Gloves eye wear etc.. what ever you have. I know I was one of those who never got stung stuck etc.. but it only takes once.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Funny you mention that. I am allergic to bee stings & got hit by a Foxface. It was like being stuck with a pencil about 9 times all @ once. Emergancy room was the next stop. It was a very uncomfortable accident.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I am very cautious when it comes to venomis fish I didnt ever realize it was there until to late I deal with all of them all the time this was a nother reef accident. While cleaning the tank I think I startled him

Craig Manoukian

All fish with poisonous spines flare them when startled. I've heard of many stings while tank cleaning. The lionfish spines look so feathery it can be very deceiving.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Very true I have had lions hit a scrapper & leave dents in it that was a fun day. Darn fish wouldnt let me clean the tank either

caitrina

This is what Cat likes to see, this thread always visible for everyone to see, because you just never know....

lcstorc

It is already a sticky so other than posts or bumps I don't think there is a way to make it more visible.
Very important info for all to read and heed.

Melanie

Story copied from my reef chronicle...
I asked my 14-year-old son to watch the electric water pump that is removing water from my display tank while I run to Ace Hardware to get a large garbage container and spigot outlet because I have too much LR for my two-10 gallon tubs. He's helped me drain the water from my tank for water changes before. I'm only gone 30 min. When I get back my husband is screaming. Turns out my son left the pump unattended and it sprayed ankle deep water in our hard-wood-floored kitchen.

My husband went to unplug the pump and the stove's 200+ volt outlet was underwater and had electrified my kitchen he put his hand on the stainless steel sink and got a jolt that is enough to kill a man who ISN'T standing in ankle deep water. He yelled for my son to leave the room and my son fell over backwards and knocked his head on the floor and ripped his shirt on the counter.

So I come home to this. I help clean up the water and quietly load my liverock and water into the large can. I didn't bother asking hubby if he would drill the hole for the spigot because he was electrocuted and wet. I know when not to push my luck.

After about 10 gallons of water are poured in on top of the 80 lbs. of rock, I see that the garbage can LEAKS! Water is spouting out from the bottom.

Did I mention my hands and arms are burning from the ammonia in the water when I scrubbed the LR. Bright red and burning. There was so much ammonia in the tank that it turned my new blue glove yellow in patches.

Now I get to tell hubby WHY I'm draining the tank. You know the 100+ lbs. of live sand he collected by diving for hours? That he hauled onto and off of our boat and then the same to the house? I have to remove and discard it.

Thank god the man loves me. Or I hope he still does. I think so since he offered up one of his coolers to hold my LR while it's curing since the new garbage can won't.

caitrina

Speaking of electricity and water..When was the last time you checked your "Drip Loops?" Do you even have Drip Loops?