Reefer Addict's Reef

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yeah Dave! When you get that tank on your stand I can just picture how you will feel and look like! Exciting times ahead!:)

addict

Yay! I got tank pix!!!! (though they're not as good as Luis' pix... ;) ).

Here's one of the full tank.

Attachments

• tank-full.jpg
    tank-full.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

addict

Here's a look down inside the tank.

Attachments

• tank-inside.jpg
    tank-inside.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

addict

Here's a shot of the corner (which the builder says still needs polishing, after it cures a bit more).

Attachments

• tank-corner.jpg
    tank-corner.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

addict

And here's a close-up of the overflow box...

Now the wait is gonna seem even longer... :D

Attachments

• tank-teeth.jpg
    tank-teeth.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Gina

RS STAFF
That is fantastic! I love it! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait for you to get it and start filling it up!!!!! WhoooHooooo!!!!:D

wooddood

the wood dude
looks sweeeeet dave im really excited for ya bud.cant wait to see it on the stand and filled up but i'll wait lol.

MojosReef

Man that is a way cool tank. I thought I would always like a cube tank. Refresh my memory; how many gallons is this tank? Cant wait to see it full of water.

addict

Yep, Johnny's got it right... 120g. :)
I started working on the canopy last night since I couldn't cut the plywood for the sump out in the rain, so I'll try to post some pix later this evening... I'm running late for school now so I gotta get going.
Thanks for everybody's support.

addict

Well, I managed to get some more work done on the canopy, and attached is a photo of my progress.
I have it fully framed, with the 1/2" plywood top attached, and it's just about ready for skinning once the glue holding the lip frame dries.
You can see the hole in the top where the canopy fan will sit above (the other half of it is behind the crossbrace). The doors on each viewable side will be the size of the opening that you can see the glue through (from leg to leg).
I have a test and a paper due on Friday, and class tomorrow night, so I don't think I'll make much more progress until this weekend, but I plan on finishing the canopy then.
I got the glass panels for the sump today, and will probably start constructing that the beginning of next week (or this weekend if I get lucky).
5 pieces of 1/4" plate glass, edge-ground, ran me about $30 ( (1) 22"x7", (2) 9"x7", (1) 5"x7", (1) 12"x7")... but it'll be nice having viewing panels into each chamber of the sump, and an almost full glass front across the fuge/growout area.

Attachments

• canopy-frame.jpg
    canopy-frame.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

addict

The stand weighs approx 100-125lbs. (about 45-57 kilos). It's light enough that I can scoot it around by myself and lift it up on edge if I need to (like when I installed the doors).
The canopy so far weighs about 20lbs (9 kilos), and I imagine once it's finished it'll be about 30-35lbs (14-16 kilos).

Pine is a really light wood, which is why I chose it to frame the canopy... I think the heaviest pieces (besides the plywood top of course) are the legs, which are pieces of 2x4 ripped in half...

If I had constructed the stand and canopy in oak I could probably at least double the weight (and triple the cost... :D ).

addict

I agree... ;)
Thankfully she's been really supportive (though when she saw how much I'd spent I got to sleep on the couch a couple of nights)... :D
It's the hobby that we both enjoy together, so she doesn't mind too much... otherwise our interests are diametrically opposed... ;)