Reefer Addict's Reef

wooddood

the wood dude
looks great dave glad to see you got the new chiller, the tank looks great so keep us posted with new pics when you can i cant get enough. now go get some more sps lol.

addict

Heheh... I'm working on getting that SPS... just gotta wait til we find the right frags to start... plus brian's probably gonna send a batch when we hammer out a deal.

Well, you can see that my thread has been moved to the Reef Chronicles forum and renamed (thanks Travis!)... I agonized whether or not to move my existing thread, or to start a new summarized one... I finally just figured why repeat all that work. :)

The new chiller is working awesome... when it comes on it drops the tank 1 degree in about 20 minutes... which isn't too shabby for a water volume near 140 gallons... it's been two days now and it still functions, so I'm crossing my fingers... :D

The Tangaroa goby has also met it's doom... yesterday morning when the lights came on it was hiding under the same rock and gasping... every time the current would hit it, the goby would kinda rock around like it had drank too many beers... it only lasted until yesterday afternoon when it perished... and became a cat treat.

I hate it when stuff like that happens, but sometimes things are out of your control... it was probably a bacterial or viral infection that it had when I got it, though it appeared healthy and active upon introduction.

Here's a shot of the 1 SPS I have so far, the red montipora which is recovering from my old 'tank of death'... when I moved it to this tank the tissue was stretched backward like it was trying to tear itself free from it's skeleton... now that it's in the new tank you can see that the flesh is all puffy and extended, and healing quite quickly.
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Attachments

• echinophyllia.jpg
    echinophyllia.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

addict

Here's a shot of my green bubble coral... which of course only looks green from straight overhead... :D

Attachments

• bubble-coral.jpg
    bubble-coral.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

addict

And here's another shot of the tower of power for Johnny... the glare was kinda bad at this time of afternoon, but you can see that I've added in the waterflow directors to the MJ's that point toward the SPS side of the tank... I'm trying to get the current down lower so that more of the turbulence is focused toward the rock rather than it flowing up the glass and disturbing the water surface.

Attachments

• towr-of-power-2.jpg
    towr-of-power-2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks for that pic of the tower of power Dave! Looks incredible!

It's good to disturb the water surface isn't it Dave? Or is it to much for ya!;)

Love the pics as well. Thanks for sharing!:)

addict

Heheh... yeah, it's good to disturb the water surface for oxygen exchange, though my skimmer does a pretty good job of handling that chore.

You can see in the picture that I have plenty of water disturbance even with the powerheads directed downward... the main problem I was having is that if the water hits the glass at a 90-degree angle, half the water deflects downward, and the other half of the stream deflects upward, roiling the water along the tank edge... the waterflow directors make the water hit the glass at more of a downward angle, so more of the water is deflected downward where it flows back across the rockwork.

Hope that makes sense. :D

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh yeah got that part from before just wondered about the disturbance on the water!:D

Why aren't ya in chat? LOL

addict

Thanks for the ID there Playa... I was told by the LFS that it was a montipora, but you know how that is. :D

At least now I know what it is. :)

addict

Well, I figured I'd post a pic of the virtual podstorm I've got going on in my tank... I'm amazed at how many are floating around and coating everything in the tank... my little mandarin keeps going nuts just picking left and right... he's pretty happy after spending 2 weeks in the LFS small podless tank.

Attached is a shot through the back of the tank inside the overflow box... it appears that I'm having a minor hair algae outbreak in here, but it made it easy to focus on the pods hanging out on the glass... every calm spot on the glass looks like this... it's just nuts. :D

Attachments

• podstorm.jpg
    podstorm.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

advntrsekrs

OK started this thread at 7:00 am and it is now almost 9:00. Read it straight through, but since I have dialup I had to cheat and have two windows going at a time so I could get to all the pics. faster. AS one page loaded I read the other. All I have to say now is WOW!!!! This is really making my desire for a tank increase. Thanks for sharing.

addict

Thanks advntrsekrs. :)

I went a little heavy on the pix in this thread... I keep forgetting that not everyone has a broadband connection. :D
Hope I don't cost ya too much money putting the new tank together... ;)

Well, the wife and I decided we didn't have enough movement in the tank, so we added some more fish... a small school of 3 firefish, and another small school of 5 blue-green reef chromis... of course trying to get a shot of all of them together was a chore... I'm gonna have to teach them how to pose.

The nice thing with having the chromis in the tank swimming up high, is now the other fish in the tank no longer hug the rockwork... they're also out and free-swimming now.

Anyway, here's a pic of the firefish, which have staked out the left rear corner of the tank... they love dancing around in the current.

Attachments

• firefish-in-corner.jpg
    firefish-in-corner.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

addict

And here's a shot of four of the five chromis... they normally school pretty close together... until they see a camera lens. :D

I took about 10 shots and the best I could do was get four of them... the fifth will have to wait for fame and fortune. :D

Attachments

• chromis.jpg
    chromis.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Tarasco

Very nice! Let us know how the firefish school works out, I've heard conflicting reports about how they do when not in mated pairs. Glad that the chromis are working as dither fish!